Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

I want to extract data from a database on a Unix box.......uhmm....written
in cobol? not sure....other info (on startup ....scounix info....) ...not
familiar with Unix...so thats a big problem for me...

Any ideas where to start.....I just want to extract four fields........the
program can generate a report for what I need....I guess I could print the
report and OCR about 500 pages worth of data....but that just would ruin my
weekend.....

Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?

Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I guess if
I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step closer......the
company is no longer around?

Any ideas would be extremely helpfull...

Alex E

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

Do you have the option to print to a file?  If you can do that, it would be
easy to write a routine in Delphi to extract the data from the file.

Paul / ColumbuSoft

alex E <a...@ed.fiberone.net> wrote in message

> I want to extract data from a database on a Unix box.......uhmm....written
> in cobol? not sure....other info (on startup ....scounix info....) ...not
> familiar with Unix...so thats a big problem for me...

> Any ideas where to start.....I just want to extract four fields........the
> program can generate a report for what I need....I guess I could print the
> report and OCR about 500 pages worth of data....but that just would ruin
my
> weekend.....

> Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?

> Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I guess
if
> I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step closer......the
> company is no longer around?

> Any ideas would be extremely helpfull...

> Alex E

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

Nope....just to screen and paper....

"Paul Ferrara" <p...@nospam.columbusoft.com> wrote in message

> Do you have the option to print to a file?  If you can do that, it would
be
> easy to write a routine in Delphi to extract the data from the file.

> Paul / ColumbuSoft

> alex E <a...@ed.fiberone.net> wrote in message
> > I want to extract data from a database on a Unix

box.......uhmm....written
> > in cobol? not sure....other info (on startup ....scounix info....)
...not
> > familiar with Unix...so thats a big problem for me...

> > Any ideas where to start.....I just want to extract four
fields........the
> > program can generate a report for what I need....I guess I could print
the
> > report and OCR about 500 pages worth of data....but that just would ruin
> my
> > weekend.....

> > Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?

> > Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I
guess
> if
> > I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step closer......the
> > company is no longer around?

> > Any ideas would be extremely helpfull...

> > Alex E

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

I think you need to double check with a *nix expert.  In DOS you could
redirect a printer to a file and I'll bet there's a *nix utility to do that.

Paul

> Nope....just to screen and paper....

> "Paul Ferrara" <p...@nospam.columbusoft.com> wrote in message
> > Do you have the option to print to a file?  If you can do that, it would
> be
> > easy to write a routine in Delphi to extract the data from the file.

> > Paul / ColumbuSoft

> > alex E <a...@ed.fiberone.net> wrote in message
> > > I want to extract data from a database on a Unix
> box.......uhmm....written
> > > in cobol? not sure....other info (on startup ....scounix info....)
> ...not
> > > familiar with Unix...so thats a big problem for me...

> > > Any ideas where to start.....I just want to extract four
> fields........the
> > > program can generate a report for what I need....I guess I could print
> the
> > > report and OCR about 500 pages worth of data....but that just would
ruin
> > my
> > > weekend.....

> > > Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?

> > > Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I
> guess
> > if
> > > I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step closer......the
> > > company is no longer around?

> > > Any ideas would be extremely helpfull...

> > > Alex E

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

>alex E wrote:

> Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?
> Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I > guess if I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step > closer......the company is no longer around?

Can you extract the database file header? There are experts around who
will tell the database type from that (not me <g>).
________
Andreas

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

A nice fellow by the name of David H emailed me.. and .... got me as
far....as generating a *.dat file!!! had to use some unix commands to list
and copy the files....worked pretty easily...thanks for that David

I guess its just like a text file in dos........so now I have the data in a
text file....

and I have the following...

PartNO    Description    Cost        Retail
223          Part.11a          1210..    4200.00
224          Part.12a          1300      4300.00

etc...

I removed the header ....and have nice clean data.....that I need to extract
out of a text file ....

Any suggestion on how to proceed..

I will create a table with four fields....
partno             integer
description    alpha 20
cost                currency
retail               currency

using Delphi with Paradox tables...
Thanks in advance

Alex E

"alex E" <a...@ed.fiberone.net> wrote in message

> I want to extract data from a database on a Unix box.......uhmm....written
> in cobol? not sure....other info (on startup ....scounix info....) ...not
> familiar with Unix...so thats a big problem for me...

> Any ideas where to start.....I just want to extract four fields........the
> program can generate a report for what I need....I guess I could print the
> report and OCR about 500 pages worth of data....but that just would ruin
my
> weekend.....

> Any suggestion on tools, utilities to try an extract some data?

> Or at least to try and figure out what kind of database this is...I guess
if
> I could figure out what it was.....I would be one step closer......the
> company is no longer around?

> Any ideas would be extremely helpfull...

> Alex E

Re:Extracting data from 3rd party program.....(seems like an old database)

Unix boxes are ASCII so step one is to extract the data from the database to
a flat ASCII file that you can trasfer to your PC. For that you will need to
find someone who knows the database and the flavor of Unix that it runs on.
Once you have the ASCII file you can open and read it with the Pascal text
file I/O routines (AssignFile, Reset and Readln).

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)