SHould I upgrade D2 - D4??

Hello All!

I'm (re)programming an accounting program, I used to use Delphi 2 developer.
Since we're currently using MS-SQL 6.5 I tried to connect D2 - BDE - ODBC - MS-SQL. It's slow. Is D4 (Client suite?) the solution??? Why? Anybody knows?
I asked Inprise: by using 'Native SQL' one could avoid using ODBC. But isn't the BDE the real problem??

CU! HJ

Re:SHould I upgrade D2 - D4??

Hi,
we're using Delphi CS 2.0 -> BDE -> SQL Links 3.5 -> SQL Server 6.5
with a very large database and lots of rows...it's mostly fast enough for
us, but older versions of SQL Links were very very slow.

We also use Visual C++ -> ODBC into the same database and it's pretty fast,
so the BDE to ODBC combination sounds like a loser!

Hendrik-Jan Drenth wrote in message ...
>Hello All!

>I'm (re)programming an accounting program, I used to use Delphi 2
developer.
>Since we're currently using MS-SQL 6.5 I tried to connect D2 - BDE - ODBC -

MS-SQL. It's slow. Is D4 (Client suite?) the solution??? Why? Anybody knows?
>I asked Inprise: by using 'Native SQL' one could avoid using ODBC. But

isn't the BDE the real problem??

>CU! HJ

Re:SHould I upgrade D2 - D4??

Just received our copy of Delphi 4 c/s today...will be upgrading our projects
from 2 to 4......I guess we'll find out how much better it is

Re:SHould I upgrade D2 - D4??

On 02 Jul 98 13:01:00 , jhhdre...@asci.iaf.nl (Hendrik-Jan Drenth)
wrote:

>Hello All!

>I'm (re)programming an accounting program, I used to use Delphi 2 developer.
>Since we're currently using MS-SQL 6.5 I tried to connect D2 - BDE - ODBC - MS-SQL. It's slow. Is D4 (Client suite?) the solution??? Why? Anybody knows?
>I asked Inprise: by using 'Native SQL' one could avoid using ODBC. But isn't the BDE the real problem??

>CU! HJ

Hi :)

In D4 you have 32-bit SQL Link for MS Sql which is faster then one in
D2. Native drivers are about 2-4 times faster then ODBC.

I would recommend D4 c/s to you.

Shalom,

Mladen Kuzminski
BORLAND / INPRISE distribucija