Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

        Not unless they've got really good windows emulation. The code's
all intel stuff.

--
Delphi and Paradox Consultant. Member: Borland Delphi Technical Support
            Web Page being relocated- want to provide space?

Borland supplied disclaimer: The services I provide via this message
and all consulting services I may provide are in no way associated with

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

In <47faak$...@newsgate.dircon.co.uk> sh...@dircon.co.uk (Shabir

Sattar) writes:

>Will the current version or Delphi 95 run on a DEC ALPHA
>machine with NT 3.51?

Delphi will run an any PC compatible machine with WFWG, Win95, or NT
without a problem.
Ben
Arrow

Shabir Sattar (sh...@dircon.co.uk) wrote:

: Will the current version or Delphi 95 run on a DEC ALPHA
: machine with NT 3.51?

        I doubt it.  Borland is pretty content in supporting on Intel by
the look of it.

Mike.

     Mike Frisch                    Internet: mfri...@saturn.tlug.org
     Northstar Technologies                    Compuserve: 76620,2534
     Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA       WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

In article <47jheo$...@saturn.tlug.org>,

mfri...@saturn.tlug.org (Mike Frisch) wrote:
> Shabir Sattar (sh...@dircon.co.uk) wrote:
> : Will the current version or Delphi 95 run on a DEC ALPHA
> : machine with NT 3.51?
> I doubt it.  Borland is pretty content in supporting on Intel by
> the look of it.

Delphi32 will not run, but the current version of Delphi is generated
using 286 opcodes, and *should* run just fine on the Alpha. I've heard
that the next version of NT will include a 32 bit 80x86 emulator for the
RISC chips, but I'm not holding my breath (why buy an expensive RISC chip
for emulating Intel opcodes?).

If I had a lot of money, I'd rather go for a dual P6 instead, and use
the Alpha as a file/application server. Delphi32 will utilize more than
one CPU (intel kind) if you got it. VB4 won't. (VB doesn't support multi-
threading)

=\
 *=- R.Moberg, author of CD-Player Pro! ftp.cica.indiana.edu:
=/                                      /win3/sounds/cdppro45.zip

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

The current version of Delphi doesn't. I tried. If you find otherwise, pl.
post. I have a 200 mips Alpha machine sitting on my desk waiting for something
suitable.

Madhav Nerurkar
USES disclaimer;

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

I've seen a live demo on a $17,000 Alpha workstation - an unbelievably
powerful machine -- using it as "just" a fileserver would be a tragic
waste of power.

Correct that WinNT programs should run on any machine -- HOWEVER, my
understanding of compilers is that a real screaming, optimized compiler
such as Delphi/OP is heavily dependent upon processor-specific coding.

Remember, that compiler has been tweaked by Borland since 1983 -- I would
imagine that it is heavily dependent upon the Intel architecture.

Cheers

Geoff McInnes

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

In article <mcinnes.816013555@access>, mcin...@MBnet.MB.CA says...

>I've seen a live demo on a $17,000 Alpha workstation - an unbelievably
>powerful machine -- using it as "just" a fileserver would be a tragic
>waste of power.

>Correct that WinNT programs should run on any machine -- HOWEVER, my
>understanding of compilers is that a real screaming, optimized compiler
>such as Delphi/OP is heavily dependent upon processor-specific coding.

>Remember, that compiler has been tweaked by Borland since 1983 -- I would
>imagine that it is heavily dependent upon the Intel architecture.

WinNT programs do not run on any NT machine.  The API is completely
portable, but the programs themselves are not.  You still need to
compile for each different platform.  At this point most NT programs
are still available only for Intel.  If Borland was to make Delphi32
available for other NT platforms, while they could simply recompile
the front end stuff, the compiler itself would have to be rewritten
to produce machine code for each platform.  I would be surprised if
we see a non-Intel Delphi anytime soon.

Dave
pi...@cam.org

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

In article <48ajas$...@tandem.CAM.ORG>, pi...@cam.org says...

>WinNT programs do not run on any NT machine.  The API is completely
>portable, but the programs themselves are not.  You still need to
>compile for each different platform.  At this point most NT programs
>are still available only for Intel.  If Borland was to make Delphi32
>available for other NT platforms, while they could simply recompile
>the front end stuff, the compiler itself would have to be rewritten
>to produce machine code for each platform.  I would be surprised if
>we see a non-Intel Delphi anytime soon.

I will disagree, the key to targeting a platform is in the backend
of the compiler (the code generation).  Borland admits that the next
version of Delphi will share the BC++ backend.

I don't think it is a far leap to see why they are doing this.  And
once they get BC++ to go multi-platform, we should have it in Delphi
not long after.  (If they implement the backend as a separate set
of .DLLs, then it would be almost immediate!).

Kirk

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

In article <48jito$1...@news.gate.net>, KWo...@mail.cbf.com says...

>In article <48ajas$...@tandem.CAM.ORG>, pi...@cam.org says...
>>WinNT programs do not run on any NT machine.  The API is completely
>>portable, but the programs themselves are not.  You still need to
>>compile for each different platform.  At this point most NT programs
>>are still available only for Intel.  If Borland was to make Delphi32
>>available for other NT platforms, while they could simply recompile
>>the front end stuff, the compiler itself would have to be rewritten
>>to produce machine code for each platform.  I would be surprised if
>>we see a non-Intel Delphi anytime soon.

>I will disagree, the key to targeting a platform is in the backend
>of the compiler (the code generation).  Borland admits that the next
>version of Delphi will share the BC++ backend.

>I don't think it is a far leap to see why they are doing this.  And
>once they get BC++ to go multi-platform, we should have it in Delphi
>not long after.  (If they implement the backend as a separate set
>of .DLLs, then it would be almost immediate!).

Interesting, when did you hear that BC++ is going to be
multi-platform?  I had not heard anything about that but
it is certainly something I would like to see.

Dave
pi...@cam.org

Re:Will Delphi Run On Alpha with NT 3.51?

I have a Delphi App running on the Power PC and Alpha.  I had to recompile with
386 off and transfer the program via floppy and it worked.  I dont remember
doing anything else.  I have also did this with other apps other then delphi.

                                        Edwin

On 22 Nov 1995 07:51:38 GMT, ewal...@tezcat.com (Edwin Walker) wrote:

>I have a Delphi App running on the Power PC and Alpha.  I had to recompile with
>386 off and transfer the program via floppy and it worked.  I dont remember
>doing anything else.  I have also did this with other apps other then delphi.

CMIIW, but the Alpha and Power PC are just emulating the 8088 in this
scenario... this is far from ideal, and it would be much better to be
able to compile into the native machine code.

Later.
Lee

--
Lee Walton                            PGP Key available upon request
C\S Software Solutions Ltd                    <http:\\www.csss.com\>

Other Threads