Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/09/020909opcringely.xml

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

Harry Van Tassell wrote:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/09/020909opcringely.xml

Yeah, the first part about the buyout made me LOL. The second part about
WebGain really annoys me: first, he's implying we'd want to buy their
technology (yeah, right); second, that we broke a deal we promised; and third,
that he's really that clueless about what happened b/n Borland and WebGain on
the legal front to be able to make a statement like this.

But, Cringely is always bashing somebody.

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, http://bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: Thanks to my donors!

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

Harry,

I didn't think is was THAT bad a bash. And besides: the only thing worse
than being talked about is NOT being talked about!

Chuck

"Harry Van Tassell" <ha...@nada.com> wrote in message

> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/09/020909opcringely.xml

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:42:23 -0400, "Chuck Hutchings"

<chutchi...@ashvinsgroup.com> wrote:
>I didn't think is was THAT bad a bash

Hey, maybe Borland looked into buying stuff from WebGain and decided
against it.

I'd love to see BEA try to make a hostile takeover of Borland.  That
would be fun to see, as I doubt they could do it.

Nick Hodges
Lemanix Corporation
How to ask questions of techies --

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

Mark,

Check out the Yahoo! message board at:
http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=BORL

There are a lot of insighful posts (particularly from today) that might
answer your questions.

Chuck

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:58:07 -0500, "Mark Boler"

<mbo...@vocaldata.com> wrote:
> But, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Borland
>been buying up quite a bit of it's own stock of late?

I believe that there was $30 million slated for purchasing Borland
stock over the past year or so.  Disclaimer:  I could be and probably
am wrong on every detail. ;-)

>I don't know anything about stocks, so bear with me, or help explain to me,
>why it's harder or not hard to take over Borland.

Borland has $300million in the bank.  I think it's pretty much
impossible to make a hostile takeover with that much of a war chest
sitting around.

Nick Hodges
Lemanix Corporation
How to ask questions of techies --

Re:Cringely rumors hostile takeover & bashes Borland

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:43:33 -0500, "Mark Boler"

<mbo...@vocaldata.com> wrote:
>think he has a lot of friends in high financial circles and they'd probably
>be inclined to help him

I think you'd be making a mistake in underestimating Dale. And with
$300million, he probably doesn't need the help. ;-)