Suddenly Delphi 2 won't start!

Please help! I know this is a long question, but I want to give you all
the facts, folks!

I have had Delphi Developer 2 installed for about half a year now.
Five times so far in the last month Delphi, all of a sudden, for no
apparent reason won't start at all when I click "Delphi32.EXE" in the
"BIN" library!

This is what happens: You see the window with the statue-lady, the
tools are beginning to be displayed at the top and then an error message
occurs and the application exits. The only problem is that the error
message just flashes by, if you're lucky you get to see the header of
the window saying "Error"...
   Therefore I have no idea what this is all about.

   I would like to know if anyone knows what's causing this problem
and/or if there's a way to intercept the errormessage? That would
probably give me a hint to what the problem is.

   I can solve the problem myself by uninstalling Delphi completely and
then reinstall it, but that is getting kind of boring when you've done
it 5 times in only a month... But it works.

                  Thanks for your help!

Daniel Persson
Malmoe,Sweden
daniel.pers...@swipnet.se

Re:Suddenly Delphi 2 won't start!

Daniel Persson wrote:

> Please help! I know this is a long question, but I want to give you all
> the facts, folks!

> I have had Delphi Developer 2 installed for about half a year now.
> Five times so far in the last month Delphi, all of a sudden, for no
> apparent reason won't start at all when I click "Delphi32.EXE" in the
> "BIN" library!

> This is what happens: You see the window with the statue-lady, the
> tools are beginning to be displayed at the top and then an error message
> occurs and the application exits. The only problem is that the error
> message just flashes by, if you're lucky you get to see the header of
> the window saying "Error"...
>    Therefore I have no idea what this is all about.

>    I would like to know if anyone knows what's causing this problem
> and/or if there's a way to intercept the errormessage? That would
> probably give me a hint to what the problem is.

>    I can solve the problem myself by uninstalling Delphi completely and
> then reinstall it, but that is getting kind of boring when you've done
> it 5 times in only a month... But it works.

>                   Thanks for your help!

> Daniel Persson

Daniel -  it is probably that your component library has become
corrupted or damaged in some way. When you next do a clean install, make
a backup of the file cmplib32.dcl. Copy this backup over cmplib32.dcl if
you start experiencing problems again.

This file can be damaged by badly written VCL components.

Regards
Mark Smith
London
UK

Daniel Persson wrote:
> I have had Delphi Developer 2 installed for about half a year now.
> Five times so far in the last month Delphi, all of a sudden, for no
> apparent reason won't start at all when I click "Delphi32.EXE" in the
> "BIN" library!

> Malmoe,Sweden
> daniel.pers...@swipnet.se

Daniel,

Consider restoring your DCL file from a backup.  I had a similar
experience and it was the DCL/component pallette.  If you are able to
start (after one of your reloads), make a backup of the clean DCL.
Then  start adding other components one at a time and see if it still
happens.

You may also want to do a SCANDISK to see if you have some crosslinked
files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eduardo A. Salgado
//E-mail: easal...@icsi.net; 70600.3451@compuserve;
//...@onedomain.com;

Re:Suddenly Delphi 2 won't start!

A friend had this problem, and it was a comma in a path of a file in the
historical file list.  You have to spelunk the registry to find it, though,
since I wasn't the person who found it. ( he had working directory of
"April 6, 1997").  Reinstalling it also clears out that list, but is a
pain.

Best regards
Dave Bissett

Mark Smith <msmi...@cix.co.uk> wrote in article
<335DC745.2...@cix.co.uk>...

> Daniel Persson wrote:

> > Please help! I know this is a long question, but I want to give you all
> > the facts, folks!

> > I have had Delphi Developer 2 installed for about half a year now.
> > Five times so far in the last month Delphi, all of a sudden, for no
> > apparent reason won't start at all when I click "Delphi32.EXE" in the
> > "BIN" library!

> > This is what happens: You see the window with the statue-lady, the
> > tools are beginning to be displayed at the top and then an error
message
> > occurs and the application exits. The only problem is that the error
> > message just flashes by, if you're lucky you get to see the header of
> > the window saying "Error"...
> >    Therefore I have no idea what this is all about.

> >    I would like to know if anyone knows what's causing this problem
> > and/or if there's a way to intercept the errormessage? That would
> > probably give me a hint to what the problem is.

> >    I can solve the problem myself by uninstalling Delphi completely and
> > then reinstall it, but that is getting kind of boring when you've done
> > it 5 times in only a month... But it works.

> >                   Thanks for your help!

> > Daniel Persson

> Daniel -  it is probably that your component library has become
> corrupted or damaged in some way. When you next do a clean install, make
> a backup of the file cmplib32.dcl. Copy this backup over cmplib32.dcl if
> you start experiencing problems again.

> This file can be damaged by badly written VCL components.

> Regards
> Mark Smith
> London
> UK