DTS and DMO Programing (COM vs C++)

I have a quick question about programing both DTS  and DMO.

Is is better, easier, more efficient, etc.. to perform DTS and DMO
programming using C/C++ function calls, or by accessing via COM??

It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), that you can access
both by either as a COM object, or through C++ function calls??  If that
is correct, which method is best?

Thanks,

Hugh

Re:DTS and DMO Programing (COM vs C++)

Can you define what you mean by function calls?
I know what a function is but both DTS and DMO are
a series of COM objects and be accessed using the std COM
ways (early bound/late bound etc).

FWIW I have done a lot of programming in delphi against automation
interfaces Word, Excel, Agent.

And DTS is the fastest I have used.

-Euan

"Hugh Cowan" <hwco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a quick question about programing both DTS  and DMO.

> Is is better, easier, more efficient, etc.. to perform DTS and DMO
> programming using C/C++ function calls, or by accessing via COM??

> It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), that you can access
> both by either as a COM object, or through C++ function calls??  If that
> is correct, which method is best?

> Thanks,

> Hugh

Re:DTS and DMO Programing (COM vs C++)

From my understanding of things (which could be wrong), Delphi provides a
specific way of accessing COM objects, which would work for any general COM
object.  I have used this to access Word and Excel.

I also noticed that there is a set of C++ functions which you can use to
access either DTS or DMO as COM objects.  So my question is really, should you
access the COM objects the way that delphi allows you to access any COM
objects, or should you call the specific C/C++ functions (which you can do
through delphi) that provide access to the DTS / DMO COM objects.  This method
would be working as if you were programming with C/C++

I hope this clarifies things,

Hugh

Euan Garden wrote:
> Can you define what you mean by function calls?
> I know what a function is but both DTS and DMO are
> a series of COM objects and be accessed using the std COM
> ways (early bound/late bound etc).

> FWIW I have done a lot of programming in delphi against automation
> interfaces Word, Excel, Agent.

> And DTS is the fastest I have used.

> -Euan
> "Hugh Cowan" <hwco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a quick question about programing both DTS  and DMO.

> > Is is better, easier, more efficient, etc.. to perform DTS and DMO
> > programming using C/C++ function calls, or by accessing via COM??

> > It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), that you can access
> > both by either as a COM object, or through C++ function calls??  If that
> > is correct, which method is best?

> > Thanks,

> > Hugh

Re:DTS and DMO Programing (COM vs C++)

Ok I just wanted to make sure.

> From my understanding of things (which could be wrong), Delphi provides a
> specific way of accessing COM objects, which would work for any general
COM
> object.  I have used this to access Word and Excel.

Delphi provides a couple of different ways...

> I also noticed that there is a set of C++ functions which you can use to
> access either DTS or DMO as COM objects.  So my question is really, should
you
> access the COM objects the way that delphi allows you to access any COM
> objects, or should you call the specific C/C++ functions (which you can do
> through delphi) that provide access to the DTS / DMO COM objects.  This
method
> would be working as if you were programming with C/C++

Its horses for courses really, if you import the typelib in Delphi for DTS
or DMO you can go ahead and use them, all the C++ headers give you is the
interfaces. Take a look at dtspkg.h and then import the DTS Package Object
Type Library into C++B or Delphi, you will see the same interfaces defined.

If you go access the C++ headers you would have to convert them to pascal.

As far as I am aware there is only one part of DTS/DMO that you can not get
at through the typelibs and that is the ability to write custom
transforms(you can get at Custom Tasks).

There is a C++ header file for this that you should be able to convert to
Pascal.

-Euan

> I hope this clarifies things,

> Hugh

> Euan Garden wrote:

> > Can you define what you mean by function calls?
> > I know what a function is but both DTS and DMO are
> > a series of COM objects and be accessed using the std COM
> > ways (early bound/late bound etc).

> > FWIW I have done a lot of programming in delphi against automation
> > interfaces Word, Excel, Agent.

> > And DTS is the fastest I have used.

> > -Euan
> > "Hugh Cowan" <hwco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a quick question about programing both DTS  and DMO.

> > > Is is better, easier, more efficient, etc.. to perform DTS and DMO
> > > programming using C/C++ function calls, or by accessing via COM??

> > > It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), that you can access
> > > both by either as a COM object, or through C++ function calls??  If
that
> > > is correct, which method is best?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Hugh