Board index » delphi » MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields

MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields

We just converted to SQL Server 6.5 from 6.0 and our memo text fields
don't display in a Delphi 2.0 program using DBMemo to access the data.
We get a message that says (Memo too Large) instead of the data.
Anybody else had this problem?  Any work arounds?

Thanks in advance ....Bobby Ryon

 

Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


Quote
Bobby Ryon wrote:

> We just converted to SQL Server 6.5 from 6.0 and our memo text fields
> don't display in a Delphi 2.0 program using DBMemo to access the data.
> We get a message that says (Memo too Large) instead of the data.
> Anybody else had this problem?  Any work arounds?

> Thanks in advance ....Bobby Ryon

Hi Bobby,

sorry, i cant help you at this moment.
We have a similar problem with Interbase 4.01 and Delphi2.x & BDE 4.00.
Weve wrote a StoredProc that collects data in a string and returns it
as a varchar(1000).
As far as the return-string is smaller than 500 (i think its the magic
512 size) it works fine, but if its bigger, we receive a "string
truncation exception from interbase" in the very moment we open the
query.

Is anybody out there who knows how to handle it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:20:28 -0400, Bobby Ryon

Quote
<Robert_C_R...@mail.dbf.state.fl.us> wrote:
>We just converted to SQL Server 6.5 from 6.0 and our memo text fields
>don't display in a Delphi 2.0 program using DBMemo to access the data.
>We get a message that says (Memo too Large) instead of the data.
>Anybody else had this problem?  Any work arounds?

>Thanks in advance ....Bobby Ryon

I am not sure if it is related, but we ran into a problem with blob
fields when our tech guys applied SQL Server SP2.  After applying the
patch, the Database Explorer product will no longer view blob text
fields properly, it receives BDE Error: 13059, the server error is
reported as 7134.

This problem is a known bug in SP2 that is apparently fixed in SP3
(they haven't applied it yet.)  You may want to refer to the Microsoft
Developers Network Knowledge Base, it is BUG#: 16518 (6.5 SP2) and the
article describing it is Article ID: Q164972.

I think it also causes problems when you connect a TTable to a DBMemo
because this problem happens when updating Blobs from within a cursor.

Oh, I am using D3 not D2 and BDE4 not BDE3 so perhaps that may be why
your error is different from what I get?

Hope this helps.

Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


Quote
In article <3450a9bc.4975...@forums.borland.com>, Sean Segura wrote:
> This problem is a known bug in SP2 that is apparently fixed in SP3
> (they haven't applied it yet.)  You may want to refer to the Microsoft
> Developers Network Knowledge Base, it is BUG#: 16518 (6.5 SP2) and the
> article describing it is Article ID: Q164972.

By itself, SP3 has some serious blob bugs.  You'll need some post SP3
fixes as well.  

Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


TeamB,

        Please describe further on other fixes.  I'm using D3c/s and MS SQL 6.5
with SP3 and don't have anything to go on.  We have some tables that have
"text" fields in them and everything is fine with data access until I
associate a TDBMemo with the "text" field in the table.  At that point
sometimes, I get a "General SQL Error" when I start the application and the
database never connects and at other times just miscellaneous errors.  I
saw another posting here in the news group by Bill Fugina regarding
Microsoft Article: Q170507 and I downloaded the file from the Microsoft ftp
site however, Bill is right; the password must be incorrect because when
the file tries to extract itself I get wrong password messages.  I also
tried looking up the article on the MSDN Library CD as well as MSDN Library
On-Line and cannot fine the article.  Is there a way to use TDBMemo fields
with MS SQL 6.5?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Bobowski
e-mail: mb...@execpc.com

TeamB <n...@spam.net> wrote in article
<VA.00000061.0e5be056@scotts-toshiba>...

Quote
> In article <3450a9bc.4975...@forums.borland.com>, Sean Segura wrote:

> > This problem is a known bug in SP2 that is apparently fixed in SP3
> > (they haven't applied it yet.)  You may want to refer to the Microsoft
> > Developers Network Knowledge Base, it is BUG#: 16518 (6.5 SP2) and the
> > article describing it is Article ID: Q164972.

> By itself, SP3 has some serious blob bugs.  You'll need some post SP3
> fixes as well.  

Re:MS SS 6.0 to 6.5 and Text Memo Fields


In article <01bce42b$37036fb0$8342cfa9@mbserver>, Michael Bobowski
wrote:

Quote
> Please describe further on other fixes.

SP3 for MS-SQL Server 6.5 introduced some bugs that corrupted blobs:
Images, OLE object and large text fields.  A Post SP3 fix corrected
these bugs.  I don't remember details, but my programs ran against SQL
server with SP2.  When I installed SP3 they stopped running, and the
post SP3 patches fixed it.

Other Threads