D2-BDE-ODBC32-Oracle

On 09-24-96 06:56 n...@titanic.nhd.com (Nil said:

n(>: >I try to work with Delphi Developer 2.0 and Oracle7, using ODBC32
n(>: >under  Windows95.
n(>: >The Oracle's SQLplus works, but if I try to connect from Delphi,
n(>: >using ODBC,  I have a message :
n(>: >"General SQL Error. [Microsoft][ODBC DLL]
n(>: >Information type out of range. Alias ..."

n(>I found that the only ODBC-Driver that works is the one that ships
n(>with Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise. All the others were unable to
n(>update a record.

The ODBC drivers from Oracle Corp. do not support Level 2 ODBC
sufficiently for Delphi use.  The best drivers on the market seem to be
the Intersolv ones.  Even the Visual Basic / ODBC Pack 3.0 (Visigenic)
do not fully support Delphi.  I have noticed a few missing functions.

Paul

Re:D2-BDE-ODBC32-Oracle

Unfortunately I do not have the same positive experiences with the above. The
intersolv driver gives errors and the VCL does not work well with the
attribute id's. Lots of data (especially the varchar2) is scrambled to an
unreadable mess. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here. The shareware version
worked for only 2 weeks due to a hard-coded try-out time, so i was not able to
test is all.
The ODBC problem is a BDE problem. In the 32 bit version all kind of
unexpected errors can be found as seen often in this newsgroup. We also wrote
to Borland (and the local helpdesk) but so far no answers are found.

Regards,

Albert

Re:D2-BDE-ODBC32-Oracle

Hi Paul!

You wrote:
> The ODBC drivers from Oracle Corp. do not support Level 2 ODBC
> sufficiently for Delphi use.  The best drivers on the market seem to be
> the Intersolv ones.  Even the Visual Basic / ODBC Pack 3.0 (Visigenic)
> do not fully support Delphi.  I have noticed a few missing functions.

I see that Oracle has just shipped a 32bit driver which a customer recently reported being 'the answer
to all his problems'.  I'm not sure if it's Level 2 yet, but it seems to have solved a number of other
problems.  I asked the guy to mail it to me, turned out to be 7.8Mb ZIP!!

Mail me if you're interested.

PS: ODBCExpress sets the standard in native ODBC access from Delphi - it totally replaces the BDE and
is a native VCL. The 16bit version is freeware, while the 32bit is shareware.  Performance is excellent
and the software compiles directly into your app - no messy dlls to distribute.

If you're interested, check it out at http://www.adam.co.za

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development

Other Threads