Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

I installed Delphi Professional 5.0 about 3 months ago, and I recently
learnt about the BDE. I used to BDE administrator to find all the aliases
and databases, but when I attempt to open the IB Local database it requires
a userid and password. The documentation says that the default userid is
"SYSDBA", and the password should be "masterkey" but attempts to use them so
far have all resulted in the following error message "Unknown user name or
password. Unavailable database. Database IBLocal. Error: 10036". This should
be the demo database, and I've never used it or the BDE before so the
defaults should work. I'm careful to match the case exactly. I get the same
type of error if I use the Interbase Administrator. It appears as if either
the wrong username/password was used, or it expired somehow. Any help would
be appreciated. (Since I've never used the Local Interbase I do not mind
re-installing it, but I do not wish to re-install Delphi 5.0.)

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

Are you sure that the Interbase database server is running? If you are
running NT/Win2k it is installed as a service. If you are running 95/98/ME
it must be started as an application.

--
Bill

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

Thank you very much. That was the problem. I started it and it worked.
However even though I have configured it for MANUAL start, it still starts
whenever the machine boots. Any ideas?

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

What operating system?

--
Bill

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

Bill I found out that the problem was that I did not have the Interbase
server active. I have WIN 98 and I have since activated it and everything
works...except that the IB documentation and programs say that if I setup
the startup option for manual startup it will not load when my PC is
rebooted. I have set it to manual startup, but Interbase is still loaded
when the PC reboots. How can I stop this so I have more control?

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

What makes you think IB is loading at startup?

--
Bill

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

The systray icon is present. I can right-click it and the option to shutdown
Interbase is present. When I take it the icon goes away. If I do not take
it, I can access the IBLOCAL data from within Delphi. I think its called
Interbase Guardian.

Re:Cannot log onto Interbase (IBLOCAL)

It's been a long time since I ran IB under Win98 but it seems like the tray
icon was always there and could be used to manually start and stop the
server. You might try posting this in the interbase.general newsgroup and
see if someone there can help.
--
Bill

Other Threads