D2: Getting Started Manual

I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

I have tried to follow the tutorial to the letter and I honestly don't
think I have missed something.  Is there something missing from the
tutorial?  If you have any info I would greatly appreciate it.  There is
not much worse than failing to complete the VERY FIRST tutorial that is
attempted! :)

Reed

    ^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^
     Reed R. Mangino    |  ** Dialogic Corporation **
                        | World leader in the design of
     torn...@esu.edu    |  computer telephony systems
         --***## Countdown to Graduation ##***--
         Days:10 Hours:10 Minutes:51 Seconds:51

Re:D2: Getting Started Manual

Reed Mangino wrote:

> I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
> started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
> numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
> EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
> the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

Hello,

I didn't try the tutorial, but I just guess... Did you set the 'Enable'
properity of the Tables to 'TRUE'...

Jason

torn...@esu.edu (Reed Mangino) wrote:
>I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi)

Same here.

> and
>started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
>numerous times (starting from scratch)

Same here.

> to follow the tutorial but
>EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
>the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

Same here.

[snip]

>Reed

>    ^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^-__-^^
>     Reed R. Mangino    |  ** Dialogic Corporation **
>                        | World leader in the design of
>     torn...@esu.edu    |  computer telephony systems
>         --***## Countdown to Graduation ##***--
>         Days:10 Hours:10 Minutes:51 Seconds:51

Dallas Jones        Vero Beach, FL       sundo...@gate.net
                  "Knowledge is Good."

Jason wrote:

> > numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
> > EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
> > the grid) I get absolutely nothing.
> Did you set the 'Enable'
> properity of the Tables to 'TRUE'...

> Jason

You might also see if the 'Active' property of the tables is set to
'TRUE'

Bryce

Reed Mangino wrote:

> I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
> started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
> numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
> EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
> the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

> I have tried to follow the tutorial to the letter and I honestly don't
> think I have missed something.  Is there something missing from the
> tutorial?  If you have any info I would greatly appreciate it.  There is
> not much worse than failing to complete the VERY FIRST tutorial that is
> attempted! :)

The doc fails to mention that you must set the Active property of the TTables
to True.
--

        -Steve Teixeira
         steix...@borland.com

On 8 May 1996 05:46:10 GMT, torn...@esu.edu (Reed Mangino) wrote:

>I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
>started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
>numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
>EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
>the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

>I have tried to follow the tutorial to the letter and I honestly don't
>think I have missed something.  Is there something missing from the
>tutorial?  If you have any info I would greatly appreciate it.  There is
>not much worse than failing to complete the VERY FIRST tutorial that is
>attempted! :)

It threw me too.

On page 41 of "Getting Started", before saving the source code of the
GDSDataModule, do the following:

Click on each data icon in turn and insert the following properties;

Databasename:  C:\Borland\Delphi 2.0\Demos\Data  (or whatever)
Active: True

Everything then works according to the book.

It is obvious with 20/20 hindsight, the data module must have a full
path to the data in question.

It can possibly also be done via the alias (if only  knew how)

Jason wrote:

> Reed Mangino wrote:

> > I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
> > started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
> > numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
> > EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
> > the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

> Hello,

> I didn't try the tutorial, but I just guess... Did you set the 'Enable'
> properity of the Tables to 'TRUE'...

> Jason

Set the "Active" property of your TTable to TRUE.

Zbigi

Re:D2: Getting Started Manual

On Wed, 08 May 1996 17:38:39 GMT, fred...@incubus.demon.co.uk (Fred

Hartley) wrote:
>It is obvious with 20/20 hindsight, the data module must have a full
>path to the data in question.

>It can possibly also be done via the alias (if only  knew how)

I now know how:

In Delphi, close all applications.
Select [ Database | Explore ]
Highlight DBDEMOS
Select [ Help | Contents | Index | aliases, working with ]
Edit 'Path' to show the full path to DBDEMOS

( D:\Borland\Delphi 2.0\Demos\Data in my machine ]

If you find that it refuses to edit, close Delphi and relaunch it.

I believe that this problem was a consequence of not using the default
directories when installing Delphi.

Zbigi Przydzielski <zbigniew.przydziel...@ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote:
>Jason wrote:

>> Reed Mangino wrote:

>> > I just opened my D2 Developer package (I am totally new to Delphi) and
>> > started running throught the tutorial starting on page 29.  I have tried
>> > numerous times (starting from scratch) to follow the tutorial but
>> > EVERYTIME I get to page 42 (where the data is supposed to be displayed on
>> > the grid) I get absolutely nothing.

>> Hello,

>> I didn't try the tutorial, but I just guess... Did you set the 'Enable'
>> properity of the Tables to 'TRUE'...

>> Jason
>Set the "Active" property of your TTable to TRUE.
>Zbigi

Boy am I glad that someone else posted this problem b4 me.  I consider
my self a seasoned programmer, but am just getting started looking
into D2 as a rapid prototyper.  Of course, the first thing I tried was
the example in the "Getting Started" manual.  I ran into the exact
same problem with not being able to load the database data.  Thanks
for the hint!  There is nothing in the getting started manual that
even remotely mentions enabling the TTable property.  I even scanned
Borlands web site for a FAQ or something that might cover this
tutorial flaw.  Nothing!

OK, now how about help with this one (from the same example) on page
44-45:

"The Customers Table
From the Project Manager, double-click on the GDSDataModule. Select
the Customers Table. In the Object Inspector, select the Events page
and double-click the OnFilterRecord property and add this line:

 Accept := CustomersState.Value =
DisplayCustomersForm.FilterText.Text;    [this is all one long line]
"

The input field of OnFilterRecord property in the Events page will not
except a string that long.  What are we supposed to do in this case?
Is there another way to edit that entry?

Thanks in advance

Bryan Nystrom               | Opinions expressed are those of
After Hours Hackers         | the author and not nessisarily
bnyst...@smg.seagate.com    | those of Seagate Software [SMG] or
Seagate Software SMG        | Palindrome.

bnyst...@smg.seagate.com (Bryan Nystrom) wrote:
>"The Customers Table
>From the Project Manager, double-click on the GDSDataModule. Select
>the Customers Table. In the Object Inspector, select the Events page
>and double-click the OnFilterRecord property and add this line:

> Accept := CustomersState.Value =
>DisplayCustomersForm.FilterText.Text;    [this is all one long line]
>"

>The input field of OnFilterRecord property in the Events page will not
>except a string that long.

I haven't looked at the tutorial,  but if it says to double-click on the
OnFilterRecord property that would open up a editor window to type in the
above code; a _single_ click would let you type in (some) of the above code
into the property editor.

HTH
Keith Edmunds
Reading,   UK