Win32s/Win3.x and Win95

Hi,

I have written a scientific application in C for UNIX.  Now I'd like to
port it to Win3.1 and Win95.  I just bought the Standard Edition of Visual
Basic 4.0, but it only does 32-bit code.  Therefore I need to upgrade, and
I am trying to decide between the Profession version of VB and Delphi 2.0.

How easy is it to develop for the two platforms simultaneously?  How do you
generate Win32s code for Win3.1?  Any thoughts on VB vs. Delphi?

Any and all comments are welcome!!

--
Dr. Kenneth W. DeLong            | Phone 510-423-1506
Lawrence Livermore National Lab  | Fax 510-423-1488

Re:Win32s/Win3.x and Win95

delo...@llnl.gov (Kenneth W. DeLong) writes:

> Hi,

> I have written a scientific application in C for UNIX.  Now I'd like to
> port it to Win3.1 and Win95.  I just bought the Standard Edition of Visual
> Basic 4.0, but it only does 32-bit code.  Therefore I need to upgrade, and
> I am trying to decide between the Profession version of VB and Delphi 2.0.

> How easy is it to develop for the two platforms simultaneously?  How do you
> generate Win32s code for Win3.1?  Any thoughts on VB vs. Delphi?

> Any and all comments are welcome!!

> --
> Dr. Kenneth W. DeLong            | Phone 510-423-1506
> Lawrence Livermore National Lab  | Fax 510-423-1488
> L-395, Livermore CA 94550        | delo...@llnl.gov
> Asonde kuraseru nara, sore wa sore de iin ja nai!!
> Check out the FROG Web page at http://www.ca.sandia.gov/ultrafrog
> Personal Page http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ken_delong

It would be easier to port from C to Pascal than C to Basic.  Beyond
that, and Delphi's superior speed, it woul largely be a matter of preference.

Re:Win32s/Win3.x and Win95

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:08:37 -0800, delo...@llnl.gov (Kenneth W.

DeLong) wrote:

[Do not have Delphi 2 myself yet, summarizing the traffic in this
group]

>Hi,

>I have written a scientific application in C for UNIX.  Now I'd like to
>port it to Win3.1 and Win95.  I just bought the Standard Edition of Visual
>Basic 4.0, but it only does 32-bit code.  Therefore I need to upgrade, and
>I am trying to decide between the Profession version of VB and Delphi 2.0.

To generate 16bit and 32bit code there is no need for more than the
"Standard" edition of Delphi although the "Developer" package seems to
be far superior with respect to value-for-money.

Any edition of Delphi 2 (32bit) comes with Delphi 1.02 (16bit) bundled

>How easy is it to develop for the two platforms simultaneously?  How do you
>generate Win32s code for Win3.1?  Any thoughts on VB vs. Delphi?

Borland is advertising that you take your project and re-compile.
The traffic in this newsgroup seems to indicate that this is not
necessarily without any trouble. The bottom line seems to be though
that if you stay away from Win95/WinNT and Delphi 2.0 specific
features such as the new RichText control or multi-threading Delphi
1.02 will compile everything fine to 16bit code. [32bit resources seem
to be another problem].

Generating code for Win32s seems to be an entirely different matter:
First of all Borland has stated that Delphi 2 does NOT support the
Win32s subsystem. BUT there has been ONE message recently in this
group saying that it DOES work with Win32s 1.30c (?). Go, figure.

HTH
--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards

Stefan

Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
w4hof...@kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de

Re:Win32s/Win3.x and Win95

R. Brian Lindahl wrote:

> However, Delphi cannot (yet, as far as we can tell) generate a Win32S
> EXE.  You will probably be stuck with Win32 (NT or '95).  It is possible
> to do parallel development in both 16 (v1.0) and 32 (v2.0) bit Delphi,
> but it can be a pain at times.  The only way I know of to generate
> 16/32s/32 from the same source is with Borland C++ 5.0 (at least that's
> what the ads say.)

Win32s is not a special type of EXE.  Win32s is a subset of the Win32 API
which is supported under 16-bit Windows.  Executables which run under Win32s
are normal 32-bit PE executable files.  You can create Delphi 2.0 applications
which run under Win32s as long as you avoid things which aren't supported
under Win32s (threads and security, for example).  There is caveat,
however, and it is that Borland didn't test Delphi 2.0 apps under Win32s, so
it's not officially supported.
--

        -Steve Teixeira
         steix...@borland.com

Re:Win32s/Win3.x and Win95

RE:  Delphi Vs. Visual Basic.  There is a great article in the April '96
issue of DBMS that compares Visual Basic Vs. Delphi Vs. Oracle Power
Objects.  The article makes comparisons on Speed, Database Support, Ole
Automotation, etc.  Handsdown, Delphi is the winner (I didn't need a
magazine article to tell me that).  However, the one disadvantage is that
Delphi is supposedly more diffult to develop applications in.

Todd Clemetson
Js...@acad1.alaska.edu

Other Threads