GetVolumeInformation

Does anyone know how to retrieve the Volume information (Volume Name and
Serial Number) of a Windows NT server from a Windows 95 machine using
GetVolumeInformation?  I can get the information fine checking a Novell
server volume and another windows 95 machine, but I get empty volume
name, and a 0 for the serial number for the NT server volume.  Again,
this is running on a windows 95 machine.

Thanks
Scott

Re:GetVolumeInformation

> Does anyone know how to retrieve the Volume information (Volume Name and
> Serial Number) of a Windows NT server from a Windows 95 machine using
> GetVolumeInformation?  I can get the information fine checking a Novell
> server volume and another windows 95 machine, but I get empty volume
> name, and a 0 for the serial number for the NT server volume.  Again,
> this is running on a windows 95 machine.

Scott,

does the "server volume" actually refer to a root directory on the server? If it
is mapped to a non-root directory on the server you will not get a volume name
or serial number for it.

No replies in private e-mail, please, unless explicitely requested!

Re:GetVolumeInformation

In article <VA.00002159.00b0ff9f@petersnewbox>,

  100113.1...@compuserve.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to retrieve the Volume information (Volume Name and
> > Serial Number) of a Windows NT server from a Windows 95 machine using
> > GetVolumeInformation?  I can get the information fine checking a Novell
> > server volume and another windows 95 machine, but I get empty volume
> > name, and a 0 for the serial number for the NT server volume.  Again,
> > this is running on a windows 95 machine.

> Scott,

> does the "server volume" actually refer to a root directory on the server? If
it
> is mapped to a non-root directory on the server you will not get a volume name
> or serial number for it.

> No replies in private e-mail, please, unless explicitely requested!

Well, I made sure the drive I was selecting was mapped to the root directory
of the NT server volume, but still no cigar.  I am selecting the drive from a
save-as dialog drive selector window, so what I am seeing on the windows 95
machine is the drive letter to which the server is mapped.  I need to get the
physical drive letter on the NT server to which this drive letter is mapped.
I am then passing this back to Oracle in an SQL statement to create a
tablespace on the server machine, so therefore it has to contain the
server-local drive letter.  ie; I want to create a tablespace on physical
drive C of the NT server, but I am seeing Drive C as drive K on my windows 95
machine.  When K is chosen in the drive selector, I need to translate K to C,
and send C in the SQL statement.

Is there another function that would work for this type of thing?

Thanks,

Scott Mahan