Paradox vs DBASE

Hello guys,

In a small network enviroment (2-5 users) is better to use DBase tables
instead of Paradox ?
What I loose using DBase Tables ? (Speed ????, Flexibility ????)
(I think I gain security in tables, no Index out of Date errors, or yes ?)

I ask this, becuase i don't think necesary to install, ie. Interbase,
for commercial development.

Imagine to have a market of 50-100 customers, and install Interbase in all
of then. I think it's very expensive to me like the customers.

Thanx in advance
Jos Romero
netvi...@telcel.net.ve

Re:Paradox vs DBASE

Jos Romero <netvi...@telcel.net.ve> wrote in article
<66p8h8$b0...@prestigio.telcel.net.ve>...

> Hello guys,

> In a small network enviroment (2-5 users) is better to use DBase tables
> instead of Paradox ?
> What I loose using DBase Tables ? (Speed ????, Flexibility ????)
> (I think I gain security in tables, no Index out of Date errors, or yes
?)

> I ask this, becuase i don't think necesary to install, ie. Interbase,
> for commercial development.

> Imagine to have a market of 50-100 customers, and install Interbase in
all
> of then. I think it's very expensive to me like the customers.

> Thanx in advance
> Jos Romero
> netvi...@telcel.net.ve

I've done some small projects in Paradox for DOS & PFW 5.0.  Paradox seems
to be much more flexable in terms of names, etc., but keyed indexes are
"different", ie. you can't do arbitrary field positions on a primary key,
the fields MUST be "close" to each other.  Paradox also has half-decent
security through encrypted tables that you can't read unless you have the
password.

dBase is OK, but it really works well when you are working with older apps
(from when it was common).  It has some limitations, such as 10-character
field names, tables require garbage collections when they get big
("repacking"), etc.  I would suggest looking at the Paradox format more
than dBase.

Other Threads