Ping using UDP

2004-02-12 06:07:42 PM
delphi88
From what I have read, most Unix implementations use UDP to perform trace
route instead of ICMP Echo. That is, a TTL limited UDP packet is sent, and
an ICMP error response is returned, instead of a TTL limited ICMP packet
being sent (also returning an ICMP error response).
However, I am not sure how this would work with Indy - how do I catch the
ICMP error response? This that automatic?
The reason I am curious is that apparantly, UDP traceroutes are more likely
to work, because a lot of routers will not respond with an ICMP error
message on an ICMP packet.
with regards,
mattias