Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

2005-11-26 04:05:50 PM
delphi160
Hi,
for a new tool it was decided to use firbird as database backend. As I
have not much experience with it:
which component sets can be used to access firebird. And what are there
pros and cons?
The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
additional dlls for delivery.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ulrich
--

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

Ulrich Kobsa writes:

for a new tool it was decided to use firbird as database backend. As I
have not much experience with it:
which component sets can be used to access firebird. And what are
there pros and cons?
The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
additional dlls for delivery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ulrich
IBO www.ibobjects.com/
IBObjects is a good commercial product for varius servers.
ZeosLib sourceforge.net/projects/zeoslib/
is a free product with support for firebird I think.
Unified Interbase www.progdigy.com/modules.php
are free native components to access any IB brach.
Regards
Yannis.

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

I use the freeware ZEOS:
www.zeoslib.net
sourceforge.net/projects/zeoslib/
Works wtih Firebird database
"Ulrich Kobsa" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

for a new tool it was decided to use firbird as database backend. As I
have not much experience with it:
which component sets can be used to access firebird. And what are there
pros and cons?
The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
additional dlls for delivery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ulrich
--

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

Yannis said...
Ulrich Kobsa writes:

>Hi,
>
>for a new tool it was decided to use firbird as database backend. As I
>have not much experience with it:
>which component sets can be used to access firebird. And what are
>there pros and cons?
>The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
>procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
>additional dlls for delivery.
>
>Any suggestions?
>

>Thanks,
>Ulrich

IBO www.ibobjects.com/
IBObjects is a good commercial product for varius servers.

ZeosLib sourceforge.net/projects/zeoslib/
is a free product with support for firebird I think.
yes, usable but does not support entire FB API.
At minimum, does not support generators.
Unified Interbase www.progdigy.com/modules.php
are free native components to access any IB brach.
UIB is lightweight and excellent: fastest IB/FB tool of
the bunch and free as well.
Additionally, of commericial options FIB is excellent as well:
www.devrace.com/en/fibplus/index.php
And there's always ODBC/ADO.
--
Regards:
Jim McKay

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

Hi,
Thanks for all the comments!
greetings,
Ulrich

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
additional dlls for delivery.

Any suggestions?
the best and most rapid and stable are Mercury databse objects found in www.mdolib.com, IBX like, native, and very fast; besides they are completely free..

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

Let me add Fibplus to the list to evaluate. Pros:
- Has TDataset descendant
- Rich additional features - auto generator, macros, local sort, repository
for column headers and display formats....
- Fast
- Commited to supporting IB & FB
Cons:
- Has a price, although I think it is reasonable.
Jason Chapman
JAC2 Consultancy
Training - Development - Consultancy
Delphi, InterBase, Firebird, OOAD, Development lifecycle assistance,
Troubleshooting projects, QA.....
Web: www.jac2.co.uk
"Ulrich Kobsa" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

for a new tool it was decided to use firbird as database backend. As I
have not much experience with it:
which component sets can be used to access firebird. And what are there
pros and cons?
The main requirements that I have are good support for stored
procedures, generators, scripting, native Delphi components and no
additional dlls for delivery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ulrich
--

Re:Delphi access for firebird: suggestions please

you will be very satisfied to use IBX-like, free, and with native access to Firebird.
They are called Mercury database objects (MDO) and you can find them in www.mdolib.com
Very fast, sable, feature rich.