Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

2006-05-11 12:18:21 AM
delphi82
Hello,
Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to SQL
Server ?
I have a very complex Firebird database and would like to create the same
thing for SQL server without doing it manualy (at least minimizing the
things to change).
Thanks
John

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

John,
<< Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to SQL
Server ?>>
Have a look at Database Workbench (www.upscene.com). DBW has powerful
database migration and datapump tools.
Regards,
Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to SQL
Server ?

I have a very complex Firebird database and would like to create the same
thing for SQL server without doing it manualy (at least minimizing the
things to change).

It all depends on what you want converted. If you just want to pump data
across then the tool mentioned by Ole works really well. If you want
something that can convert schema, views, procs etc, you are in trouble.
There is a significant difference between the SQL supported in Firebird
and SQLServer, especially in regard to stored procs.
Craig.

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

>Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to
SQL
>Server ?
>
>I have a very complex Firebird database and would like to create the
same
>thing for SQL server without doing it manualy (at least minimizing the
>things to change).

It all depends on what you want converted. If you just want to pump data
across then the tool mentioned by Ole works really well. If you want
something that can convert schema, views, procs etc, you are in trouble.
There is a significant difference between the SQL supported in Firebird
and SQLServer, especially in regard to stored procs.
Just a note --
Database Workbench can convert your tables, indices, unique, pk and
foreign key constraints constraints with a few mouse clicks.
It will not, however, transfer your SQL (it can transfer views, but any
dbms specific SQL will fail) or procedures/triggers unless both the source
and target use the standard SQL PSM syntax, which neither Firebird nor
MS SQL Server do.
Hope this helps.
--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Thanks all for your help.

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Hi, I need to do the same thing, just convert tables with data from firebird
to sqlserver, but I can not buy a product just for execute this task once.
Anybody know another free tool or another way to acomplish this.
I have tried to generate scripts from firebird but I have had problems with a
table with 92000 records, I receive a out of memory error.
Anyother tool will be appreciate it.
Regards,
Marcelo
"Ole Willy Tuv" <owtuv at online dot no>escribi?en el mensaje
John,

<< Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to
SQL
Server ?>>

Have a look at Database Workbench (www.upscene.com). DBW has powerful
database migration and datapump tools.

Regards,
Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Marcelo,
Just use DTS or import feature in SQL Server it will do it for you.
Regards,
Abi
"Marcelo" <marcelo39AThotmail.com>writes

>John,
>
><< Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database to
SQL
>Server ?>>
>
>Have a look at Database Workbench (www.upscene.com). DBW has powerful
>database migration and datapump tools.
>
>Regards,
>Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Thanks a lot Abi for your answer.
I'm a SQLServer newbie, so I didn't realize about that option.
Is it possible that this import feature is a very slow process? I'm
importing in that way but is taking a lot of time...
"J Coder" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje

>Hi, I need to do the same thing, just convert tables with data from
firebird
>to sqlserver, but I can not buy a product just for execute this task once.
>Anybody know another free tool or another way to acomplish this.
>I have tried to generate scripts from firebird but I have had problems
with
>table with 92000 records, I receive a out of memory error.
>
>Anyother tool will be appreciate it.
>
>Regards,
>Marcelo
>
>"Ole Willy Tuv" <owtuv at online dot no>escribi?en el mensaje
>>John,
>>
>><< Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird database
>SQL
>>Server ?>>
>>
>>Have a look at Database Workbench (www.upscene.com). DBW has powerful
>>database migration and datapump tools.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Marcello,
No not really. When you are inside the enterprise manager and have selected
a database, just select import and a wizard will open up asking source
destination and table/object selection etc... Just follow this and when
fiished you can run it. It will also give you the option of saving your
import as a package or template. It will save it as a DTS package. You can
then familirize yourself with DTS if you want to tweak and make changes
etc.... You can complete this in 15 minutes or less depending on the
complexity of DB and if you have to transform data.

>Marcelo,
>
>Just use DTS or import feature in SQL Server it will do it for you.
>
>Regards,
>Abi
>
>"Marcelo" <marcelo39AThotmail.com>writes
>>Hi, I need to do the same thing, just convert tables with data from
>firebird
>>to sqlserver, but I can not buy a product just for execute this task
once.
>>Anybody know another free tool or another way to acomplish this.
>>I have tried to generate scripts from firebird but I have had problems
with
>>table with 92000 records, I receive a out of memory error.
>>
>>Anyother tool will be appreciate it.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Marcelo
>>
>>"Ole Willy Tuv" <owtuv at online dot no>escribi?en el mensaje
>>>John,
>>>
>>><< Is there a tool that can perform a conversion of Firebird
database
>>SQL
>>>Server ?>>
>>>
>>>Have a look at Database Workbench (www.upscene.com). DBW has
powerful
>>>database migration and datapump tools.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Convert Firebird table to SQL Server

Thanks a lot Abi for your answer.
Regards,
Marcelo
"Abi" <abizafu(at)yahoo.com>escribi?en el mensaje