Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

2006-10-24 11:23:57 PM
delphi249
And, I would thought that both FastMM replacement dll and DelphiSpeedup are same.
Thanks for letting me know the implementation difference. So, I guess, FastMM
replacement dll will speedup IDE more than of DelphiSpeedup--am I mistaken
again?
At least in my experience, you are correct, the FastMM memory manager
makes more of a difference than DelphiSpeedup. But, that might not be
true for everybody.
And, of course, the FastMM product can both speed up your
applications, if you build it into your applications. And can speed
up your IDE, if you install the FastMM IDE DLL. Delphi2006 comes with
FastMM already. Though there are newer versions, I haven't bothered
to upgrade it as I suspect the newer versions are probably only
marginally better.

Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

Paul Dolen writes:
DelphiSpeedup doesn't seem to make a huge difference
In other words: Why do I spend my rare spare time writing something that
doesn't give you anything. Should I stop developing DelphiSpeedUp?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

>DelphiSpeedup doesn't seem to make a huge difference
In other words: Why do I spend my rare spare time writing something that
doesn't give you anything.
I didn't say that at all. You "quote mined" me, not quoting my entire
sentence, which read:
"At least on my system, DelphiSpeedup doesn't seem to make a huge
difference, but every little bit helps."
I've read reports that it makes a bigger difference on different
systems. I don't know why it seems to be more noticeable on some
systems than others, but that seems to be the case based on what I've
read.
Should I stop developing DelphiSpeedUp?
In my opinion, no!
You might put a donation link on your site, I would be happy to give a
small donation. I can not say how many people would donate, but I at
least would.

Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

Paul Dolen writes:
I've read reports that it makes a bigger difference on different
systems. I don't know why it seems to be more noticeable on some
systems than others, but that seems to be the case based on what I've
read.
DelphiSpeedUp mainly optimizes I/O operations (that's the code by me and
not from the FastCode project). The more memory you have the more is used
for caching file operations. In that case "only" the FastCode that come
with DelphiSpeedUp can optimize the IDE.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah writes:

>And, I would thought that both FastMM replacement dll and
>DelphiSpeedup are same. Thanks for letting me know the implementation
>difference. So, I guess, FastMM replacement dll will speedup IDE more
>than of DelphiSpeedup--am I mistaken again?
<snip>
fastmm will improve your delphi ide speed, but delphispeedup will
speedup loading of it and so forth considerably more, with or without
fastmm though.
Thanks for the explanation.
try it. if it feels faster be happy, if it doesnt.. dont :)
Yep, well said.
--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Re: DelphiSpeedUp 2.0

"Andreas Hausladen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>DelphiSpeedup doesn't seem to make a huge difference

In other words: Why do I spend my rare spare time writing something that
doesn't give you anything. Should I stop developing DelphiSpeedUp?
I'm sure, no one is going to give you any negative reply as they may think, it will hurt you. But, IM*H*O, (I'm no Delphi programmer, FYI), you have to decide that--if your plug really speeds up the IDE, you should keep it up and have to advertise it. In other words, if installing FasMM replacement dll increases speed 5-10% and installing yours further increases 5-10%, then your plug really works; but if you think, your plug cannot increases the speed when the former is already installed, you'd better off concentrating some other plugs.
Personally, I found your DDevExtensions <andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup/index.php>very interesting. (Oh, do you have any reason for not fixing the title, etc?). However, the other programmer informed me that the component searching is already available in BDS 2006 and Manage configurations <andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup/images/PrjConfDlg.png>is quite hard to follow (esp, difference between "Options" and "Edit Options").
--

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah writes:
Personally, I found your DDevExtensions
<andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup/index.php>very
interesting. (Oh, do you have any reason for not fixing the title,
etc?).
DDevExtensions is part of the DelphiSpeedUp homepage. So the DelphiSpeedUp
title is generated from the DelphiSpeedUp php header template.
However, the other programmer informed me that the component
searching is already available in BDS 2006
Yes it is. The first version of DelphiSpeedUp (that included the
ComponentSelector) was for Delphi 7 only. The BDS 2006 support came later.
--

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah writes:

>Personally, I found your DDevExtensions
><andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup/index.php>very
>interesting. (Oh, do you have any reason for not fixing the title,
>etc?).

DDevExtensions is part of the DelphiSpeedUp homepage. So the DelphiSpeedUp
title is generated from the DelphiSpeedUp php header template.

>However, the other programmer informed me that the component
>searching is already available in BDS 2006

Yes it is. The first version of DelphiSpeedUp (that included the
ComponentSelector) was for Delphi 7 only. The BDS 2006 support came later.
Thanks for your reply.