Re: Which OS?

2003-07-11 11:58:07 AM
delphi4
ckd writes:

I think the desktop is much more than acceptable already - I just need
a bigger linux customer base or a new product. If you haven't seen a
recent linux desktop a knoppix disk is a nice way to see how things
are progressing (a bootable CD with pretty modern distribution
elements within - by default it won't touch your hard drive at all).
And you have the option of installing the same into your hard drive if
you wish.
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re: Which OS?

"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I'm concerned about Windows XP that either I might be in outside the US in a
place where I can not easily get an internet connection, or that there
might be a 7.0+ quake here in Cal and we would be offline for 3 weeks,
and in the middle of it, I change something on my computer and WinXP
decides I have changed too much and I need to validate online and wham -
my computer is hosed until connectivity is available again.
Even in that event, you would still have weeks before it would stop and you
surely would have to change
*major* hardware parts before getting into that problem (never had it BTW).
Anyways, I don't think
there would much be left to go shopping to after the Earthquake, so you
should be fine regardless (if you survive it <G>).

Re: Which OS?

On 10-Jul-03, ckd said:
I think the desktop is much more than acceptable already
We disagree.
--
Bill
--------

Re: Which OS?

>I'm not so {*word*97} minded that I am going to junk windows as my
>livlihood still depends on Win development but given a choice I'd
>prefer not to be using it.
WM>So commit to Linux. Leaves more Windows work for the rest of us. <g>
And try Kylix! Yeah! Just prepare to bugs.

Re: Which OS?

Richard,
If you registered it as a laptop, you will find that you can change a
lot of things before reactivation is required. The logic is that laptops
are known to move in and out of different docking ports etc and so
(perceived) hardware configuration changes are much more common than with
desktops. I'd worry more about the earthquake.
Regards
Allan Knox
"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I use a laptop all the time - no desktop.

I'm concerned about Windows XP that either I might be in outside the US in a
place where I can not easily get an internet connection, or that there
might be a 7.0+ quake here in Cal and we would be offline for 3 weeks,
and in the middle of it, I change something on my computer and WinXP
decides I have changed too much and I need to validate online and wham -
my computer is hosed until connectivity is available again.

Re: Which OS?

What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too
weak, XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and
Linux. Any thoughts?
I use Win2k since a few years - it is a good choice. With Windows XP I would wait at
least till the next ServicePack(1st buy win XP legal, install it, install
all service packs, activate it via crack, hide behind a firewall(no
PersonalFirewall on PC - XP would know how to get through!), deactivate all
useless graphical balderdash - enjoy(?)).
If you develop for Linux then this would be the (very) best choice.
regards

Re: Which OS?

I use 2K Pro as well as XP Pro.
My favourite is 2K, by far. it is more stable than XP (at least, for me - but
this is most likely a driver issue as far as I can tell), it doesn't 'just
do stuff' I didn't explicitly tell it to do, there is no kindergarten
(though you can mostly turn it off in XP, some of the bloat always remains),
and things (options, links, etc) are in the places I expect them to be.
Actually, the only reason I can think of to actually want to use XP over 2K,
is if you play a lot of games. XP is more 'game-friendly' than 2K (in my
experience).
It won't come as a surprise that my office box is 2K and my home machine is
XP :)
(I develop on both though)

Re: Which OS?

"Ron" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too weak,
XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and Linux. Any
thoughts?
I'll add my vote to the others - W2k Pro is fine. I have XP on another disk
but, after some rebooting experience, I only use it for testing to ensure
compatibility. Wintendo98 is hopeless.
W2k lifetime under development conditions, (ie. dodgy,
crashing/looping/deadlocked code), is pretty well infinite. Despite my
worst code, 2k lasted for nine months without a reboot. Even then, it only
got rebooted because I *thought* the OS was dodgy but, after the reboot, the
problem was still there- turned out to be a loose connector.
Linux would be OK if Kylix was 100%. Unfortunately, I only have K1, which
has some 'issues', (also, CLX is slower).
Rgds,
Martin

Re: Which OS?

I prefer Windows XP. It has much better USB / hot swapping support than
Win2k.
-Danny
"Ron" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too weak,
XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and Linux. Any
thoughts?

Re: Which OS?

W2k Pro..I tested the Win XP and I waste few hours to go back to Win 2k
after about 2 weeks.
Daniel
"Ron" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too weak,
XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and Linux. Any
thoughts?

Re: Which OS?

"Ron" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too weak,
XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and Linux. Any
thoughts?
Either XP or 2003

Re: Which OS?

Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software, Inc. writes:
"Ron" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too weak,
>XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and Linux. Any
>thoughts?

Either XP or 2003
He asked for an OS for a programmer, not which version of Windows to use.
He did not mention which platform he will be targeting, etc.
Rosimildo.

Re: Which OS?

"Rosimildo da Silva" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
He asked for an OS for a programmer, not which version of Windows to use.
He did not mention which platform he will be targeting, etc.
I know what he asked and I answered with two possible candidates.
If he needs his apps to run on Linux he can develop on Windows and recompile
on the other one.
But for development, you definitely wanna use XP or 2003 now.

Re: Which OS?

Ron writes:
What would be a solid choice for a programming platform? W98 are too
weak, XP ring a bell with privacy issues, so it comes to W2k and
Linux. Any thoughts?
WinXP on one box & Linux on another, accessed remotely through an X server,
eg: Exceed.

Re: Which OS?

ckd writes:
As far as I know linux still doesn't have
great NTFS support so keep common data on a FAT partition.
NFS support is there but you need $$ for windows NFS software. Samba works
fine, it is the poor man's NFS <g>