Re: On the missing T

2004-10-22 04:57:35 PM
delphi84
Ok. Rereading the posts I found more considerations targetted to the wording
than to the meaning.
Anyway, about work I thought a bit more about a tool to auto generate type
renaming units and I wrote it (a bit crude, I admit) using Delphi 8 in about 4
hours (reflection is nice indeed).
This solves my problems. If someone is interest ask me directly and I'll
send the sources.
"Carl Caulkett" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
marc hoffman writes:

>Mauro,
>
>>.NET frameworks is nice indeed. I like it, and I am a Delphi
>>"integralist".
>>But whoever decided to drop the T from type names (but not the I
>>from the interface names) should be severely punished!
>
>considering that there was a world outside of our neat little Delphi
>bubble even prior to .NET, isn't it a bit presumptuous to talk about
>dropping the T? <g>

Oi, you! Get back to work <g,d+r>

--
Carl

Re: On the missing T

Always wandered that what's so bad about Hungarian notation?
It makes code harder to read and is completely pointless. There is an
argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-), but in a
strongly typed language there is no point.
The common argument for it, is that you can "tell what type something is
without looking at the definition". This is a dumbarse argument on so
many levels though. If you know so little about something that you don't
even know its type, you have no business using it (modern IDEs tell you
the type if you hang your mouse over it anyway). It makes maintenance
more difficult, because the prefix can get out of sync with the actual
type.
Then there is the fact that there are now way too many types in a system
for the idea to be at all sensible. How many types are there in the VCL,
or the .NET framework? Thousands. Let alone all the hundreds you would
add in a typical system of any size. You run out of sensible prefixes
quickly, and in any case you need a (big!) lookup table to know what
they all mean.
But the most important thing is that it makes code harder to read
(anyone who argues otherwise is obviously a ning-nong <g>). it is not
called Hungarian notation because it is easy to understand :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re: On the missing T

Well, it is functional once you understand the notation though, right?
No

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:16:54 +0100, Jim Cooper <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:

>Always wandered that what's so bad about Hungarian notation?

It makes code harder to read and is completely pointless. There is an
argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
<snip>
That is simply untrue.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: On the missing T

ozbear writes:
>It makes code harder to read and is completely pointless. There is
>an argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
<snip>
That is simply untrue.
I guess that was a joking exaggeration. I doubt anyone thinks that C
only knows integers. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Never mistake motion for action." -- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Re: On the missing T

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:50:45 +0200, "Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
ozbear writes:

>>It makes code harder to read and is completely pointless. There is
>>an argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
><snip>
>That is simply untrue.

I guess that was a joking exaggeration. I doubt anyone thinks that C
only knows integers. <g>
I never underestimate other people's ignorance of C, what it is,
what it isn't, and so forth.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: On the missing T

ozbear writes:
what it isn't, and so forth
^^^^^
Pun intended?
<g>
--
Carl

Re: On the missing T

ozbear writes:
There is an
>argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
<snip>
That is simply untrue.
BTW, I just converted the original Crowther & Woods Colossal Cave
Adventure (the 430 point version) to Delphi (Somethimes these things
just have to be done <g>)
Every damn thing there was an integer - except for the occasional
pointer to an integer. :( Probably where they got their 'maze of
twisty little passages, all alike' stuff from...!
--
Colin - using XanaNews HTTP Transport
e-mail :XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: On the missing T

That is simply untrue.
<sigh>It was a joke, hence the smiley face

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
ozbear writes:

>>It makes code harder to read and is completely pointless. There is
>>an argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
><snip>
>That is simply untrue.

I guess that was a joking exaggeration. I doubt anyone thinks that C
only knows integers. <g>
No. C is not only Integers. C is more: With C you have Integers, Long
Integers, 64-Bit Integers, Pointers to integers and void. And way too
small buffers that get overflowed all the time...
SCNR ;-)

Re: On the missing T

On 25 Oct 2004 05:16:13 -0700, "Colin Wilson"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
ozbear writes:

>There is an
>>argument for it in C, where every damn thing is an integer :-),
><snip>
>That is simply untrue.

BTW, I just converted the original Crowther & Woods Colossal Cave
Adventure (the 430 point version) to Delphi (Somethimes these things
just have to be done <g>)
I agree :O)

Every damn thing there was an integer - except for the occasional
pointer to an integer. :( Probably where they got their 'maze of
twisty little passages, all alike' stuff from...!
For "speed" no doubt since fp operation on many pc's back then
had to b emulated in software.
I'd love to see your conversion...been decades since I have played
Adventure.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: On the missing T

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:59:53 +0100, Jim Cooper <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:

>That is simply untrue.

<sigh>It was a joke, hence the smiley face

A poor one, and poorly executed.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: On the missing T

A poor one, and poorly executed.
<sigh>

ozbear writes:
I'd love to see your conversion...been decades since I have played
Adventure.
I'll put it in 'attachments' when it is ready. There are still a few
glitches. For instance, the bird doesn't chase the snake away for some
reason at the moment!
At the moment, as a first step, I have literally translated the original
'C' code (by hand). And the original 'C' code was itself created by
Don Wood's autoamtic Fortran IV to C translator. So it is very messy
and chock full of 'goto's
But it works...!
--
Colin - using XanaNews HTTP Transport
e-mail :XXXX@XXXXX.COM
web: www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.1

Re: On the missing T

On 26 Oct 2004 01:55:03 -0700, "Colin Wilson"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
ozbear writes:

>I'd love to see your conversion...been decades since I have played
>Adventure.

I'll put it in 'attachments' when it is ready. There are still a few
glitches. For instance, the bird doesn't chase the snake away for some
reason at the moment!
I hate it when that happens.....

At the moment, as a first step, I have literally translated the original
'C' code (by hand). And the original 'C' code was itself created by
Don Wood's autoamtic Fortran IV to C translator. So it is very messy
and chock full of 'goto's
I look forward to seeing it. I will not be offended by the goto's.
You can safely use them like scissors...just no running with them in
the hall.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.