Chrome unveiled to the public

2005-05-04 06:45:18 AM
delphi98
I received today an email communicating the official release of Chrome.
I wonder to what extent will this affect to Borland's sales.

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

Not mutch I'd think..
-Atle

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

I wonder to what extent will this affect to Borland's sales.
It will help Delphi sales, by raising pascal
awareness a notch higher I think.
JoeH

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

Heh, I am more worried about Borlands affect on Borlands sales ;)
"Alvaro GP" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Lloyd Kinsella writes:
Heh, I am more worried about Borlands affect on Borlands sales ;)
Very good point. :)

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

I wonder to what extent will this affect to Borland's sales.
I think you will find 95% of Delphi users will stare at you blankly if you
mention Chrome. It is not on their radar and wont be for a long while at
least.
Craig, www.h3k.biz

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

Yes and no. There have been, from what I have seen a large movement to Visual
Studio, specially since Delphi 2005 was released, and since Chrome sits
nicely into Visual Studio it adds yet more reason to move.
"Craig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>I wonder to what extent will this affect to Borland's sales.

I think you will find 95% of Delphi users will stare at you blankly if you
mention Chrome. It is not on their radar and wont be for a long while at
least.

Craig, www.h3k.biz

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

>I think you will find 95% of Delphi users will stare at you blankly
>if you mention Chrome. It is not on their radar and wont be for a
>long while at least.

I think it will be on their radar for those who want to start new .NET
projects but don't want to use C#.
Maybe, except most develops spend no time investigating new technologies or
third party tools. The developers in NonTech are the absolute minority. Most
Delphi developers I have met are still pretty ignorant of .NET and C# and
how it all fits in the big picture and MS have spent millions in
advertising. I dont want to have a go a RemObject because they make great
products (I own some), but Chrome is going to find it very difficult to be
more than a small niche product.
Craig, www.h3k.biz

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

"Craig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
but Chrome is going to find it very difficult to be
more than a small niche product.
Maybe. Maybe not.
Did you see they offer the free version
for colleges ? If enough professors include
chrome vs plugin in their courses there
might be quite a potential exposure ? Something
I wish Delphi did...
JoeH

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

Did you see they offer the free version
for colleges ? If enough professors include
chrome vs plugin in their courses there
might be quite a potential exposure ? Something

Why would professors do that? What in it for them?

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

>Did you see they offer the free version
>for colleges ? If enough professors include
>chrome vs plugin in their courses there
>might be quite a potential exposure ? Something

Why would professors do that? What in it for them?

Or more to the point, how would they even know about it? Maybe 1 or 2 who
have a Delphi background might have heard of it, but unless RemObjects are
going to spend a lot of money they will struggle to get into colleges or
uni's.

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

"Craig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Why would professors do that? What in it for them?
pascal as a strongly typed language has some
advantages to edu centers, does it not ?
JoeH

Craig writes:
Why would professors do that?
Because M$ is the safe choice, I guess.

Craig writes:
Or more to the point, how would they even know about it?
But they know about VS.NET, and they know about Pascal. One day they
google VS.NET + Pascal and surprise! They have just found Chrome.

Re:Chrome unveiled to the public

pascal as a strongly typed language has some
advantages to edu centers, does it not ?

I'm not argueing that the language is no good or not suitable, I am just
saying they will never find out about it. There are hundreds or thousands of
programming languages many with many academic advantages, but at the of the
day what are colleges teaching, C, C++, C# and Java. I cant see any great
exodus to Chrome or Delphi on the horizon.