Delphi 3 and Visual FoxPro files

2007-04-12 02:27:00 AM
delphi46
I have an old Delphi 3 program I developed that now needs to read and write
to some Visual FoxPro files (*.dbf with matching *.cdx).
I first tried tdbf. This was able to read and write these files but it
doesn't update the indexes. Did I overlook something?
Then I tried ODBC. I downloaded the latest FoxPro ODBC drivers but was not
able to set up an ODBC connection in the BDE Administrator that would work.
Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere on how to do this... for Delphi 3
and FoxPro tables? When I try to open a table it asks for username and
password (tdbf does not do this), or it complains that the BDE alias is not
configured correctly.
I am not sure what version of FoxPro created these tables. Is there a
version number in the header that I can hex dump? I have access to Visual
FoxPro 9 but I am not very familiar with it.
Ideas appreciated.
- David Harper

Re:Delphi 3 and Visual FoxPro files

If you use the dbf-file created in FoxPro for MS DOS or for Windows (but not
Visual FoxPro), you may set the LEVEL attribute for alias in BDE
Administrator in 25 and it will work for you.
But for Visual FoxPro you need the ODBC driver from Microsoft for Visual
FoxPro tables
PS: yes, header contains the ID for version. Just run our dBase Viewer
(trial) to view the version:
www.scalabium.com/dbf
"David Harper" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Mike Shkolnik" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
If you use the dbf-file created in FoxPro for MS DOS or for Windows (but
not
Visual FoxPro), you may set the LEVEL attribute for alias in BDE
Administrator in 25 and it will work for you.

But for Visual FoxPro you need the ODBC driver from Microsoft for Visual
FoxPro tables

PS: yes, header contains the ID for version. Just run our dBase Viewer
(trial) to view the version:
www.scalabium.com/dbf
Mike, thanks for the info. I used your dBase viewer and it reported Version
48. Thanks for that tip and link. I assume this is a Visual FoxPro file.
This means I am back trying the ODBC driver. What are the steps to get this
to work? I have googled...
- David Harper

Re:Delphi 3 and Visual FoxPro files

Mike, thanks for the info. I used your dBase viewer and it reported
Version
48.
This is Visual FoxPro 3
This means I am back trying the ODBC driver. What are the steps to get
this
to work?
As I remember, this driver is available for free from Microsoft
I don't remember any details because I installed this driver for my internal
needs a few years ago and it works for me still now without re-install:-)