Re: More on Delphi Direct

2004-05-27 04:59:29 AM
delphi167
In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
How about a survey, what kind of applications you are actually
developing?
POS systems for:
- Consignment-based used bookstores (usually at universities)
- Distributed fast-food POS (terminals synch with central server over
Internet for live reporting)
The former uses a web interface with ActiveX objects for printing
(written in Delphi, of course). The latter uses Delphi for the POS
terminals, with a web-based administrator.
Graham
P.S. "POS" stands for "Point Of Sale," not the other thing

What category do your projects fall into:

- Database application

- Web services

- Intraweb

- Internet sites

- Stand alone business applications (like bookkeeping)

- Driver development

- Scientific applications

- Games

- Programming tools

- Components (Delphi / .Net / ActiveX)

- Other

Please add to the list.

Jan

Re: More on Delphi Direct

We started out writing marine only software but over the last few years
Marine only software? Is this kind of software waterproof and
unsinkable? ;-)

Re: More on Delphi Direct

At 00:44:47, 27.05.2004, Richard Foersom writes:
>We started out writing marine only software but over the last few
>years

Marine only software? Is this kind of software waterproof and
unsinkable? ;-)
No, it is blue. Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"While we are postponing, life speeds by."

Re: More on Delphi Direct

John Jacobson writes:
D8 is like a really cool toy that doesn't come with any instructions.
It would probably be a lot of fun if I had the time.
I find it helps to replace "How do I do this in D8" with "How do I do
this using the .NET Framework". Once you get comfortable with
navigating it, I find the .NET SDK documentation has a wealth of
information. Of course all the code snippets are in C#, VB, C++ or J#,
but as the Framework classes are used in virtually the same manner
irregardless of language, the knowledge ports to Delphi very easily.
And with the new BabelCode Web Service, it is even easier to convert
those C# snippets to a "proper" language. ;-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: More on Delphi Direct

Rudy Velthuis writes:
Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>
For some tasks. Red ones still go faster :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
Vote 1 cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing :-)
Now supports Google Groups searching with Dyna-extend(tm) technology!
Quality Central. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"I'm just trying to get into heaven. I am not running for Jesus." -
Homer Simpson

Re: More on Delphi Direct

Jan Mitrovics writes:
How about a survey, what kind of applications you are actually
developing?
Our company develops systems that gather information from Electronic
{*word*143} Machines (Pokies, One Armed Bandits, Fruit Machines etc), and
also allows for the transfer of cash to/from them. This latter is
called Cashless {*word*143}, and we were the first vendor in Australia to
offer this functionality.
To achieve all this involves talking to our proprietry hardware (which
connects to the EGM) via serial communications. We also interface to
other systems (Pagers, POS etc) using a combination of serial comms and
TCP/IP.
Our flagship product is now written in VB/C++, but this was based on a
Delphi application which I maintain. I am also rewriting one of the VB
applications in C#, which I am finding a heluva lotta fun (plenty of
room for creativity and self expression :-))
The Delphi app still has a life though, as it is more suited to the
smaller venues in the marketplace (Pubs & Bars and smaller Clubs). I
won't dwell on what I thought about re-writing the Delphi app in C++/VB
as that has been well documented here in the past. Lets just say it
wasn't the path I'd have chosen :-)
Thankfully all my development currently involves only Delphi and C# (no
VB), but I have been asked to learn C++ so I can help out there as well.
Looking forward to the challenge there...
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
Vote 1 cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing :-)
Now supports Google Groups searching with Dyna-extend(tm) technology!
Quality Central. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the
dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark, they shoot bees at
you?" - Homer Simpson

Re: More on Delphi Direct

No, it is blue. Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>
I get the Dilbert reference ;-), I have a collection of about 15
Dilbert books.
Rudy, why are up in the middle of the night? - It is time to get
some sleep before the dentist clinic opens tomorrow morning. If
not, both your patients and you will have the mouth open - but
you because of yawning :-).
Best Dilbert episode ever (saw it many years ago):
Wally and Dilbert in the Can{*word*249}:
Wally: When I started programming we did not have any of these
{*word*230} icons or windows.
Wally: All we had was zeros and ones, and sometimes we didn't
even have the ones. I programmed an entire database system using
only zeros.
Dilbert: You were lucky, we had to use the letter o.

Re: More on Delphi Direct

Richard Foersom writes:
>We started out writing marine only software but over the last few
>years

Marine only software? Is this kind of software waterproof and
unsinkable? ;-)
oh, no ... trust me.. it can sink. :-)
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Re: More on Delphi Direct

Jan Mitrovics writes:
Thanks! That explains it much better. A bet you live near the coast
;-)
I sure do. Whidbey Island in Puget sound (Washington State). I have
spent my whole {*word*62} life on the West Coast (California and now
Washington State) and have never lived more then a mile from the beach.
Actually writing software for boating related companies does have some
perks. When I go to do onsite training it is almost always some nice
resort area.... done them all over the US and the US and British {*word*269}
Islands. Nice to get paid for that. :-)
--

Rudy Velthuis writes:
No, it is blue. Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>
Hee Hee! I have been thinking about upgrading to red or orange.. but
for now I must stick with the blue. Have you heard if Delphi 9 will be
availble in Red?
--

David Clegg writes:
John Jacobson writes:

>D8 is like a really cool toy that doesn't come with any
>instructions. It would probably be a lot of fun if I had the time.

I find it helps to replace "How do I do this in D8" with "How do I do
this using the .NET Framework". Once you get comfortable with
navigating it, I find the .NET SDK documentation has a wealth of
information. Of course all the code snippets are in C#, VB, C++ or J#,
but as the Framework classes are used in virtually the same manner
irregardless of language, the knowledge ports to Delphi very easily.

And with the new BabelCode Web Service, it is even easier to convert
those C# snippets to a "proper" language. ;-)
My main problems always occured, when I found wrong information in the
D8 docs. There are a couple of places, where functionality is described
that existed in D7, but does not anymore in D8.
Jan

Re: More on Delphi Direct

At 01:05:45, 27.05.2004, David Clegg writes:
Rudy Velthuis writes:

>Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>

For some tasks. Red ones still go faster :-)
Mauve databses have the most RAM.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that

Re: More on Delphi Direct

"Rudy Velthuis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message de news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Mauve databses have the most RAM.
Ok, either justify the connection with Delphi or move this to OT.
...pretty please?
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re: More on Delphi Direct

At 01:31:21, 27.05.2004, Richard Foersom writes:
>No, it is blue. Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>

I get the Dilbert reference ;-), I have a collection of about 15
Dilbert books.

Rudy, why are up in the middle of the night?
It was only 0:50, and the missus was not home yet anyway (she had been
out with her friends <g>).
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I wouldn't mind dying - it is the business of having to stay dead that

Re: More on Delphi Direct

At 03:18:29, 27.05.2004, David Farrell-Garcia writes:
Rudy Velthuis writes:

>No, it is blue. Just like mauve databases are the best. <g>

Hee Hee! I have been thinking about upgrading to red or orange.. but
for now I must stick with the blue. Have you heard if Delphi 9 will be
availble in Red?
Delphi 8 came in black and white only. ;-)
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a