BDS2006: Package expert crashes IDE on shutdown

2006-01-23 08:00:32 AM
delphi47
Hi all,
I'm back in the OTA 'business' again, after many years of placidly using D6,
I'm now looking to migrate my favorite self-rolled OTA package experts to
BDS2006. In one of these, I am adding a menu item to the 'Project' menu and
then calling up a modal form to select some actions to manipulate the
project files. I have rebuilt the package from the same source code that I
used successfully for D6, with essentially no changes except renaming the
'60' to '100' in the .dpk/bpl name.
However even without actually invoking this wizard (just loading it), the
BDS2006 IDE throws {*word*268} AV's during shutdown/unloading (it even wants me
to tell Bill about it! :-)). I guess it could have to do with uninstalling
the new menu item and related shortcut.
Now I was just wondering, before I inflict upon myself many hours of
painstaking debugging, are there known "gotcha's" on migrating Delphi 6 OTA stuff
to BDS2006, specifically relating to Main menu manipulation perhaps?
TIA -
--
Kristofer

Re:BDS2006: Package expert crashes IDE on shutdown

At 01:00:32, 23.01.2006, Kristofer Skaug writes:
However even without actually invoking this wizard (just loading it),
the BDS2006 IDE throws {*word*268} AV's during shutdown/unloading (it even
wants me to tell Bill about it! :-)). I guess it could have to do with
uninstalling the new menu item and related shortcut.
Apart from using actions, I usually add them, in a procedure called
AddMenuItems, like this:
MainMenu := (BorlandIDEServices as INTAServices).MainMenu;
// Use default position to start with.
ParentMenu := MainMenu.Items[CDefaultPos];
// code to search for real insert position comes here.
FMyItem := Menus.NewItem(StrItemCaption, 0, False, True,
ExpertItemClick, 0, StrItemName);
ParentMenu.InsertComponent(FMyItem);
ParentMenu.Insert(InsertPosition, FMyItem);
FMyItem is a field of the expert. I also have a RemoveMenuItems, called
from the destructor of the expert:
procedure MyWizard.RemoveMenuItems;
begin
FMyItem.Free;
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"God gave men both a {*word*205} and a brain, but unfortunately not enough
{*word*76}
supply to run both at the same time."
-- Robin Williams, commenting on the Clinton/Lewinsky affair