Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

2006-09-27 12:32:48 AM
delphi235
Almost missed it, but thank to Jeff Buckley for the reminder about Chad's
blog;o)
Chad's leaving MS at the end of this month (blogs.msdn.com/czhower/)
It wasn't long time ago when he did start at MS, but I am glad he is back
;o)

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

I hope we will hear from him about his journey ;o)
So, was his secret infiltration mission successful? ;-)

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

Chad's leaving MS at the end of this month
(blogs.msdn.com/czhower/)

It wasn't long time ago when he did start at MS, but I am glad he is
back
;o)
So, was his secret infiltration mission successful? ;-)
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Rick Carter writes:
So, was his secret infiltration mission successful? ;-)
Of sorts. :)
www.KudzuWorld.com/

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
I hope we will hear from him about his journey ;o)
I'm here. I have actually been here for a few days, but a bug in Xana
would not let me post or reply.
I posted quite a bit on my blogs actaully. www.KudzuWorld.com
You can also check out my latest venture: www.woo-hoo.net
www.KudzuWorld.com/

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
It wasn't long time ago when he did start at MS, but I am glad he is
back ;o)
Thanks. I am back - but not in the way I was before. I should finally
have time to focus again on Indy a bit and I have some other pet
projects I will be displaying in coming months.
But I am fully .NET now. I believe Win32 has quite some life yet, but
for me I am only intersted in .NET for 95% of what I do. And that means
.NET 2.0 and soon to be .NET 3.0. That puts me in a very bad position
becuase Delphi is still at the .NET 1.1 level.
So unfortunately I will be in C# pretty much most of the time now. In the
future I will be working on "something else" but I will leave it at that
for now.
So if I am in C# now - what will I do with Delphi? Well I will continue
to lead the Indy team but I probably won't be doing much in the VCL
version. Instead I will be working mostly on the C# version.
But again you ask - so what will I do in Delphi? I will be participating
in the Delphi forums and I will be happy to speak at BorCons again - BUT
until Borland wakes up and pays for at least a hotel and flight - there
is no way in heck I am paying for that. Sorry but "Free conference
entrance" just doesnt trip my trigger. It isn't worth *me spending*
$2000 or so not including time. Microsoft is willing to pay my T+E and
more so if you are wondering why I will be speaking at many Microsoft
conferences still, including TechEd Europe which will be my third
TechEd this year (Actually was scheduled into 6, but had conflicts with
3), its simple econmics. I am not asking to be paid to speak at Borcon -
but I am not paying my own way...
Ok.. so I guess I should finally get to the question what will I do
with Delphi? Well to be honest aside from community participation
anything I do with Delphi for now would be how to use Delphi with other
.NET features, SQLCLR, LINQ, and so on. I won't be doing any big
projects in Delphi for the time being. When Borland gets Delphi to at
least .NET 2.0, then some more options open up. (.NET 3.0 is compiler
compatible, just has more classes).
www.KudzuWorld.com/

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

I like the cake ;o) it is so American (big and a lot of cream, you know what
I am comparing with) ;o)
>I hope we will hear from him about his journey ;o)

I'm here. I have actually been here for a few days, but a bug in Xana
would not let me post or reply.

I posted quite a bit on my blogs actaully. www.KudzuWorld.com
you need "My MS Journey" blog ;o)
You can also check out my latest venture: www.woo-hoo.net
have seen it, I do not know if I'd agree to work for just T+E (rest is
optional) ;o)
PS. I hope there is nothing serious with your family

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

But again you ask - so what will I do in Delphi? I will be participating
in the Delphi forums and I will be happy to speak at BorCons again - BUT
until Borland wakes up and pays for at least a hotel and flight - there
is no way in heck I am paying for that. Sorry but "Free conference
entrance" just doesnt trip my trigger. It isn't worth *me spending*
$2000 or so not including time. Microsoft is willing to pay my T+E and
more so if you are wondering why I will be speaking at many Microsoft
conferences still, including TechEd Europe which will be my third
TechEd this year (Actually was scheduled into 6, but had conflicts with
3), its simple econmics. I am not asking to be paid to speak at Borcon -
but I am not paying my own way...
There's lots that Devco needs to do to compete and certainly paying the
leaders that bring the conference draw should be a top priority.
John

JohnE writes:
There's lots that Devco needs to do to compete and certainly paying
the leaders that bring the conference draw should be a top priority.
I'm not going to "Cry" just my case. I can keep busy all year with
Microsoft conferences.
But just look at the last BorCon that had speakers T+E paid. Then look
at following years. Notice a lot of well known names missing?
Now for fun - Look at this years TechEd Europe when the final list is
published. Hmm, notice quite a few names you recognize from these
newsgroups? Did you see them at BorCon last time?
And its not becuase they sold out. Most if not all would still like to
speak at BorCon and do speak at other Borland conferences (EKON for
example). I myself would have been at EKON, but while at MS I would
have needed to use vacation time and I already did that the year before
for EKON. :)
www.KudzuWorld.com/

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
I like the cake ;o) it is so American (big and a lot of cream, you
know what I am comparing with) ;o)
Well it was a nice cake. But it was in Kuwait. :)
>I posted quite a bit on my blogs actaully. www.KudzuWorld.com

you need "My MS Journey" blog ;o)
Well look around - there are a few blogs there. :)
>You can also check out my latest venture: www.woo-hoo.net

have seen it, I do not know if I'd agree to work for just T+E
(rest is optional) ;o)
I usually dont work for just T+E. Thats mostly for smaller user groups
etc. For the bigger ones I generally don't work for free. (Although I
would speak at Borcon for just T+E)
PS. I hope there is nothing serious with your family
Thanks. We'll see how it works out. Its serious, but not life
threatening.
www.KudzuWorld.com/

Re:Chad's leaving MS and back to our domain... ;o)

>I like the cake ;o) it is so American (big and a lot of cream, you
>know what I am comparing with) ;o)

Well it was a nice cake. But it was in Kuwait. :)
yes, I saw a guy ;o) but the cake.... ;o)

JohnE writes:
There's lots that Devco needs to do to compete and certainly paying
the leaders that bring the conference draw should be a top priority.
That was, in fact, done for the last conference.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
>There's lots that Devco needs to do to compete and certainly paying
>the leaders that bring the conference draw should be a top priority.

That was, in fact, done for the last conference.
Please correct me if Im wrong - I was out of the loop last year, but
the feedback I got from others was that it was "Submit and we'll maybe
pay something" and after the experience that happened the year before,
as well as how many speakers were insulted by what went on many simply
did not submit.
And then there was also the thing the year before where many non US
speakers were told that Borland did not want to pay their T+E because
it was an extra $750 or so higher for airfare, and an extra night in a
hotel.
Now granted - DevCo has the option to put this all behind them and
start over. But you've lost a lot of speakers - and Borland/DevCo knows
all about it as I forwarded a lot of the correspondence with permission
to people at Borland and I have had extended talks with David I.
The feedback I got from long time attendees overwhelmingly was that the
content suffered.
Now of course you can dismiss what I say and I expect you will - but
you can also look at the attendee numbers. You need a clear speaker
policy which covers T+E - simple. You dont necessarily need to pay
stipends as in the past, but you need to at least cover T+E.
www.KudzuWorld.com/

JohnE writes:

>There's lots that Devco needs to do to compete and certainly paying
>the leaders that bring the conference draw should be a top priority.

That was, in fact, done for the last conference.
distribucon.com/blog/archive/2005/03/21/503.aspx
And a simple Google search turns up many more.
Worse yet - it was "Clarified". And many speakers then expected to be
contacted - but most were not. But they found out that a very few
select (mostly US based) were - and you can guess what their reaction
was.
www.KudzuWorld.com/

"Chad Z. Hower" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
$2000 or so not including time. Microsoft is willing to pay my>T+E and
If you want profits, you must invest first. Borland is famous for been cheap...
A local Borland reseller told customers that their market stuff like "Borland" T-Shirts were actually paid by them. This guy is lucky not to be sued for giving "Borland" / "Delphi" copyrighted T-Shirts to potential customers...
projects in Delphi for the time being. When Borland gets Delphi>to at>least .NET 2.0, then some more options open up. (.NET 3.0
Good. You take care of the Net 2.0 stuff and leave others Win32, Win64 stuff ;-)
Just my 2 cents...