Is Quicken written in Delphi?

2006-10-13 12:20:40 AM
delphi238
Is Quicken written in Delphi?

Re:Is Quicken written in Delphi?

"Tim A." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Is Quicken written in Delphi?

I don't believe so, any longer. It used to be written in a Borland product,
but I believe they switched to VC++ back in '98. After that, I don't know.
They might have switched back.

Tim A. writes:
Is Quicken written in Delphi?
If you have a copy installed, take a look for yourself.
cc.borland.com/Item.aspx
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

"Tim A." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

Is Quicken written in Delphi?
I did some work with the SDK for QuickBooks when it was first
released in 2002(?) and I recall that it written in VB(Visual Basic) (YUCK!).
Now, Quicken is not QuickBooks but one would think that they'd
go with what they new and most likely use existing code.
~ JD

Tim A. writes:
Is Quicken written in Delphi?

Not sure about Quicken, but Intuit's TaxCalc (in the UK) was.

JD writes:
Now, Quicken is not QuickBooks but one would think that they'd
go with what they new and most likely use existing code.
I kinda doubt it. They're really different applications. They have
about as much in common as Outlook and Outlook Express, which is to say
not much. They may have had some features consolidated over the years,
but given their histories I really doubt they started as anything
similar.
Just speculating,
-Craig
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re:Is Quicken written in Delphi?

>Now, Quicken is not QuickBooks but one would think that they'd
>go with what they new and most likely use existing code.

I kinda doubt it. They're really different applications. They have
about as much in common as Outlook and Outlook Express, which is to say
not much. They may have had some features consolidated over the years,
but given their histories I really doubt they started as anything
similar.

Just speculating,

Actually, you are right. Quicken had been around for several
years when Intuit released QuickBooks (circa ~1992, and I think
they bought another existing application to base it on.). Totally
different code bases. I am pretty sure QB was in VB(Visual Basic) for quite
a while (since I remember the VB(Visual Basic) runtime being in the program
folder), but they switched to VC++ I think at some point. The last
couple of releases have required the .net runtime and the samples
for the SDK are provided in C# and VB, so that gives some clue
(as well as the fact that the last 2 releases are significantly slower
at many operations compared to previous versions).
As for what Quicken is developed with, I don't know but I
imagine it has shifted toward MS C of some sort as well.
I wished Intuit used Delphi for both!

Tim A. writes:
>Is Quicken written in Delphi?
Way back in the day I remember one or more of Intuit's apps having the old
borland 'look' to it. The ok buttons with the green checks, etc. But that
was quite a while ago.

GrandmasterB writes:

Way back in the day I remember one or more of Intuit's apps having
the old borland 'look' to it. The ok buttons with the green checks,
etc. But that was quite a while ago.
IIRC, TurboTax was at one time written in BP7
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG