Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

2007-01-11 10:38:50 AM
delphi254
Ray Porter writes:
I've found Cassini
Ray --
By default, the IDE will support Cassini for you, automatically setting
everything up and running it all when you hit F9. Just choose that as
an option from the new ASP.NET application wizard.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Robin writes:
This doesn't actually answer your questioj, but if your end
deployment is going to be on IIS, then I'd be using that for
development and testing too.
I usually take this approach too. While it is tempting to choose a more
lightweight web server, I feel more secure in developing against one
which is closer to what I will be actually deploying to.
That being said, I rarely develop against the exact same web server, as
my development machine is Windows XP Pro (IIS5), and deployment is
usually to Windows Server 2003 (IIS6). So I guess that kinda renders my
original justification a bit moot. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Thanks, Nick. I will give it a shot.
Ray
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Ray Porter writes:

>I've found Cassini

Ray --

By default, the IDE will support Cassini for you, automatically setting
everything up and running it all when you hit F9. Just choose that as
an option from the new ASP.NET application wizard.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Ray Porter writes:
Yep, I know, but do most people deploy intraweb applications this
way? How do you go about actually deploying an IntraWeb app if
your production web server is IIS?

As ISAPI. Intraweb can also compile to a Windows service, but
configuring that to run alongside IIS is a PITA.
For debug-friendly: Omnihttpd is what I use for debugging ISAPI
specific issues. However, my Intraweb dev cycle looks like this:
1. Develop app as standalone. Easy to debug, develop, run, test,
etc. 99% of my work is done here.
2. create new Intraweb ISAPI project and map my existing standalone
to it. (this takes about 10 minutes and only needs to be done once)
test under IIS.
3. If any problems with IIS, debug using OmniHttpd.
4. If problems don't exist in OmniHttpd, and they exist in IIS, it's
probably a security issue. time to configure the server.
When all is working as ISAPI, go back and continue developing as
standalone, periodially building the ISAPI project and testing. I've
found very few new issues in IIS except for server configuration.
The first ISAPI build was painful though. I strongly suggest doing
steps 1 and 2 early on to get this out of the way. The most
problematic issues you will face are that ISAPIs under IIS don't
execute from the directly that you put the dll in. They execute from
System32 or thereabouts.... you've got to come up with a strategy for
locating your config files, and your IW "Files" directory".
Once you get the first ISAPI running with access to config files and
the "files" directory. (and temp files) you probably won't need much
testing in IIS. You can safely develop as standalone and just come
back to IIS for final testing.
-Pete

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Thanks, Pete.
PITA? I am not familiar with that one.
Ray
"Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Ray Porter writes:
PITA? I am not familiar with that one.
Pain in the ...
--
Chad Z. Hower
Microsoft Regional Director

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Thanks, Chad. As with many things, obvious once explained.
Ray
"Chad Z. Hower" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Ray Porter writes:
Thanks, Pete.

PITA? I am not familiar with that one.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pita
"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first mention of the
word in English was in 1951" <g>
I sometimes have to chuckle when I see large signs on the sidewalk
in Oslo, outside immigrant shops, announcing "Pita Bread". Who really
wants that?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:

Joe Hendricks writes:
Ray Porter writes:
>Yep, I know, but do most people deploy intraweb applications this
>way? How do you go about actually deploying an IntraWeb app if
>your production web server is IIS?

port 8080 or port 8000
JoeH
Yes, but you have to tweak IIS if you are using an IP address that
matches one that IIS is using. Unless they've changed something
recently, IIS reserves *all* ports for all IP addresses that IIS
handles. So if IIS has a site at IP 10.0.0.3:80, you can not run a
standalone server on 10.0.0.3:8080 unless you tell IIS not to.
www.pdmagic.com/kb/ShowKBArticle.Cfm
To be honest, I haven't done thorough testing on this, but it is been
pretty well documented.
-Pete

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic] writes:
To be honest, I haven't done thorough testing on this, but it is been
pretty well documented.
For 3 years, we've had www.<domain>.com(IIS) running on same W2003 server as
www.<domain>.com:8080(IW SA) so it does work afaik.
JoeH

Joe Hendricks writes:
Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic] writes:
>To be honest, I haven't done thorough testing on this, but it's
>been pretty well documented.

For 3 years, we've had www.<domain>.com(IIS) running on same W2003
server as www.<domain>.com:8080(IW SA) so it does work afaik.

JoeH
Joe, hello :)
Did you have to take any of the steps I linked to in order to stop
IIS from locking the ports? I haven't checked this in newer versions
of Windows (since IIS5) please let me know if it is old info.
-Pete

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic] writes:
Did you have to take any of the steps I linked to in order to stop
IIS from locking the ports? I haven't checked this in newer versions
of Windows (since IIS5) please let me know if it is old info.
Doing a quick scan, the pdmagic article only says its an issue for the same
port, 80 vs 8080. ANd yes, we just used W2003(standard) IIS6 default settings,
made no changes to get Intraweb running on 8080 while IIS website runs on 80
(same domain).
No idea about IIS5...
JoeH

Re: web server for testing Intraweb and ASP.Net

Joe Hendricks writes:
same port, 80 vs 8080.
should read:
same port, NOT 80 vs 8080
JoeH

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
I sometimes have to chuckle when I see large signs on the sidewalk
in Oslo, outside immigrant shops, announcing "Pita Bread". Who really
wants that?
Interesting you should mention that. The words "Pizza", "Pita", "Pitta",
and "Pide" in various mediterranean languagues all mean the same thing
(flat bread). In the old Roman empire a pizza was actually food for
slaves (flat piece of dough covered with leftovers).
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
In the old Roman empire a pizza was actually food for
slaves (flat piece of dough covered with leftovers).
Thanks, that explains why companies serve pizza to developers. :)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC