How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

2007-05-04 03:59:46 AM
delphi257
I'm thinking of switching over to a Software Assurance plan (SA) since we
need to upgrade from BDS2006 to Delphi 2007 and I might as well roll BDS
2007 into the mix. It also seems to be all the rage with RemObjects
announcing that is their new model as well.
The various merits of SA aside, how in the world do you even purchase
Software Assurance? I can not find anywhere on the new website where I can
get pricing information or a single solid link that I can send to our
purchasing department and say, "buy this, 5 copies". The fact that I can't
get to a purchase page within three-clicks from the home page should be
upsetting to the marketing department and I know that I am pretty frustrated
after both a site search and Google search fail to turn up a
straight-forward way to purchase SA for BDS/Delphi.
Is it supposed to be this hard for us to give you our money?
Anyway, anyone have a link or pricing?
Shawn

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

Hi Shawn,
I could be wrong, but I think you have to buy it when you buy a product.
You
can't just by SA, and then automatically get Delphi 2007 for Win 32. You
would
to buy Delphi 2007 for Win 32, and then one of the options at checkout would
be to get SA with it.
-- Larry Maturo
"Shawn Oster" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Larry Maturo writes:
I could be wrong, but I think you have to buy it when you buy a
product.
That's not exactly right. You don't have to buy it when you buy a
product -- you can buy product without it.
What is more accurate (and I am not harping here, Larry, just want to be
clear) is that you can only buy it with a product purchase. You can't
buy it stand-alone or after the fact.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Shawn Oster writes:

The various merits of SA aside, how in the world do you even purchase
Software Assurance?
On the website, if you purchase Delphi 2007, Support and Maintenance
will be added to your cart.
I agree, it is sub-optimal.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

Hi Nick,
I realize you can buy the product without it. I was assuming that since
he asked about SA, he wanted it, rather than making a general statement. :-)
-- Larry
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Larry Maturo writes:

>I could be wrong, but I think you have to buy it when you buy a
>product.

That's not exactly right. You don't have to buy it when you buy a
product -- you can buy product without it.

What is more accurate (and I am not harping here, Larry, just want to be
clear) is that you can only buy it with a product purchase. You can't
buy it stand-alone or after the fact.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

Shawn Oster writes:
1. You can only purchase SA when you make a product purchase?
Meaning you can not get SA after the fact.
Correct.
2. Can you only purchase SA directly from Borland? In a brief look
at resellers I don't see any way to add "Software Assurance" to an
order.
No, you should be able to order SA from resellers. I don't know how
all their websites work, though.
3. Is "Software Assurance" the same thing as the "Support &
maintenance for Delphi 2007 Win32 Profes" that I see for $360 on the
purchase page?
Yes.
On the purchase page it makes it seem like you'll
only get maintenance for Delphi 2007, not that you will also get BDS
2007.
You'll get all Studio-level releases during the term of the
subscription.
4. I thought I also saw that there was some form of SA that gave you
to access to new versions of BDS, Delphi for PHP, Ruby, etc.
Basically the full monty SA, not just a BDS-specific one. Am I
making things up?
We don't have anything like that, no.
5. Where is a link describing what you get for SA? I expected one
off the purchase page but nothing.
Yeah, getting things like we want on the purchasing page is way too
hard.
It's also pretty hard to find on our site....
support.codegear.com/annual
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Yeah, getting things like we want on the purchasing page is way too
hard.

It's also pretty hard to find on our site....

support.codegear.com/annual
Thanks a million. I was pretty much pulling my hair out trying to get
everything straightened out.
Shawn

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

I went into exactly this trap. I had BDS 2006 installed and didn't know
about SA before reading about it here which was a few weeks after the
purchase. After even Nick couldn't tell me how to get my hands on SA I
contacted Borland (no Codegear present here in Germany but that is a
different story) and they "graciously" agreed to sell SA to me. In my not so
humble opinion I think that SA should be sold to anybody at any time and not
only together with a product purchase. CG will get a lot of SA revenue
shortly before each product or update launch but hey, SA customers stay at
least for 1 year and SA revenue is steady, calculable revenue. I think
DevExpress did the right thing with their subscription. For the 1st year
it's pretty expensive and for subsequent years it is way cheaper. As I
mentioned: steady, calculable, long term revenue
Just my 2 cents,
Joe

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

"Joe Meyer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
In my not so humble opinion I think that SA should be sold to anybody at
any time and not only together with a product purchase.
I agree. The downside (for CodeGear) is that the streetwise guys would hang
off until the details of the next release is announced before signing up for
SA. However, this potential problem is easily solved. CodeGear could
backdate the starting date of SA to the date of original purchase.

Shawn Oster writes:

Thanks a million. I was pretty much pulling my hair out trying to
get everything straightened out.
The new support site still has some kinks to work out.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

Hello,
and remember: you can purchase it also when you only buy updates!
Greetings
Markus

Re:How to actually purchase Software Assurance?

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

We are happy to add SA onto an order within thirty days of purchase.
We do that quite frequently. I should have been more clear about that.

Have you considered offering it even later than that (e.g. up to 6 months?)
backdated to the purchase date? i.e. you pay the full SA amount but it is
due for renewal 12 months from the date of the original purchase of the
product, not the date of purchase of SA.

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
Del Murray writes:

>I think you ought to give the guy a break. If he bought it from a
>reseller and the SA deal wasn't clear or was non-existant, you would
>be doing him and your reputation a big favor by selling it to him. I
>have it and cant do without it and I am sure it would go a long way
>toward good will ...

We are happy to add SA onto an order within thirty days of purchase.
We do that quite frequently. I should have been more clear about that.

Nick
within thirty days of purchase, what the hell does this mean ?
is it
(i) the date my company sends a purchase order to a reseller
(ii) the date the reseller ships a physical copy and invoices it
(iii) the date of accepting and first time registration
I seem to conclude from your statement that I better DECLINE when
installing the software and start the purchasing process over again ?
I think codegear can improve
-->clearly indicating the license agreement on the codegear website
via the search function I could not find it, nor google
the license file on my CD rom is containing [to be replaced sections],
so useless as well
Moreover, the laws of California are of little relevance on this
continent, as we do not have Mr. Schwarzenegger in control of our
destiny ;-). E.g. you should ask your Sarbanes Oxley experts if the
exoneration clauses in your licensing contracts does not create a
revenue recognition issue (they would make many courts doubt that your
customer willingly entered into a voluntary transaction)
-->clearly indicating the support agreement
(the link you give says "agreement", but does not seem legal language,
nor mentioning your thirty days rule, as a real contract would do)
thanks in advance
PS
the EUR/USD is around 1.36, any clue when California will realize this ?

Chris Burrows writes:
Have you considered offering it even later than that (e.g. up to 6
months?) backdated to the purchase date? i.e. you pay the full SA
amount but it is due for renewal 12 months from the date of the
original purchase of the product, not the date of purchase of SA.
I'm not sure that is legally allowed. There are some pretty serious
rules surrounding the definition of a software subscription.
--

Chris Burrows writes:

>Have you considered offering it even later than that (e.g. up to 6
>months?) backdated to the purchase date? i.e. you pay the full SA
>amount but it is due for renewal 12 months from the date of the
>original purchase of the product, not the date of purchase of SA.

I'm not sure that is legally allowed. There are some pretty serious
rules surrounding the definition of a software subscription.

You say 30 days is OK. Is 40, 45, 60 ...? What is the limit?
Is SA a subscription or is it a maintenance contract? Is there a difference?