Re: Is It Safe?

2007-07-28 02:46:51 AM
delphi242
"Captain Jake" senta link that included
"Facebook. Flickr, maybe even Twitter one day. Who knows? The software
landscape is changing seemingly all the time."
what a yawn--whenever someone claims the world of software development is
undergoing a sea-change and cites Facebook, IM, etc, I am pretty
sceptical--there's more to the development world than writing software who's
primary business value is in serving ads to {*word*249}agers (however trendy that
market happens to be).
Has the pace of change in software tools been climbing lately? You bet. But
I'm more convinced by Kathleen Dollard's commentary on that situation
(www.ftponline.com/vsm/2007_05/magazine/departments/guestop/) than
the facile injunction to 'embrace distruption.'
A good software developer has to know his tools, technologies, and problem
domains. Tech churn makes the first two harder (if not increasingly
impossible, as Kathleen argues), and generally hasn't helped much at all
with the last (Is UML the best we can do?). Perhaps it is true that "you can
build a cool application or service simply by mashing up other existing
services"--but good luck maintaining and extending it when the pieces are
evolving separately and no one in the building understands how more than
some little piece of it works.
When I hear of a successful resurrection of the San Francisco project
(blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/ I will be impressed. But
Facebook? Flickr? Get real.
bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

"Tom" wrote
Ballmer added that future software will all factor in some aspect of
desktop, Web and server elements.
You can bet that Ballmer is really talking about what MS is doing with
SharePoint, Biztalk, and the use of Office as a unified portal to the
growing collection of MS-written collaboration servers. Web-based apps (as
MS envisions and is writing them) are no threat whatsoever to its desktop
{*word*108}.
They are simply fighting for a shrinking market
share and they realize it now.
I seriously doubt that. MS is climbing the business stack--extending from
the desktop into more distributed projects, and linking those firmly back to
Office. I wouldn't characterize their posture as retrenchment at all.
bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Has the pace of change in software tools been climbing lately? You bet.
But
I'm more convinced by Kathleen Dollard's commentary on that situation
(www.ftponline.com/vsm/2007_05/magazine/departments/guestop/) than
the facile injunction to 'embrace distruption.'
I agree, that is a much better analysis, except at the end where she kind of
falls apart.
The big problem in our industry is the constant churning. Changing
technology facades, changing personnel rosters, changing names and API's for
the same basic underlying technology. All this turning means the wheel never
goes anywhere, but nobody gets to hold on to it either.
I'm doubtful that I need to embrace .NET to remain competitive or useful to
my current and/or any potential future employers. I am happy to use C# when
I need to, don't get me wrong. I just don't feel like I am missing anything
by emphasizing native languages like Delphi and C++. Even though it has been
relatively ignored by Borland (and the rest of the world) for ages now,
Delphi still remains the most productive tool for native Win32 development,
by a very wide margin. That says a lot about all the "change" going on in
the IT world these days.
These last few days I have been thinking about whether or not to rewrite my
newsreader in C++. I have been trying to take an objective look at my
relationship with Delphi. I still think my career is best served by using
C++ on the job, but it is increasingly obvious to me that it makes no sense
to rewrite my newsreader in C++. I will have enough experience from work that
I don't need to generate my own personal experience, and a one-man shop can
easily get enough funds from a Windows-only app to make it worthwhile. Plus,
it is actually not near as easy to write an app like a newsreader in C++, if
you are a one-man shop.
So, right now it looks like I will do C++ during work hours and Delphi on my
own time. Dejavu, same as back in 1998-2000. The more things change, the
more they stay the same.

Re: Is It Safe?

"Bob Dawson" writes:
"Tom" wrote
>--
>Ballmer added that future software will all factor in some aspect of
>desktop, Web and server elements.

You can bet that Ballmer is really talking about what MS is doing with
SharePoint, Biztalk, and the use of Office as a unified portal to the
growing collection of MS-written collaboration servers. Web-based apps (as
MS envisions and is writing them) are no threat whatsoever to its desktop
{*word*108}.
Another interpretation is that Microsoft has "seen the light" and the
result is Silverlight.
For all I know Ballmer is responding to Jeff Atwood's question, "Who Killed
the Desktop Application".
www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000883.html
In it he says, " All the innovation in user interface seems to be taking
place on the web, and desktop applications just aren't keeping up. Web
applications are evolving online at a frenetic pace, while most desktop
applications are mired in circa-1999 desktop user interface conventions,
plopping out yearly releases with barely noticeable new features."

>They are simply fighting for a shrinking market
>share and they realize it now.

I seriously doubt that. MS is climbing the business stack--extending from
the desktop into more distributed projects, and linking those firmly back
Office. I wouldn't characterize their posture as retrenchment at all.

bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

"Tom" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Jake, obviously from your prior postings, you realize the shift is
occurring, things are changing and it is time to have fun again!
Hey, I always have fun, that is not at issue! To me programming is like
breathing.

Re: Is It Safe?

"Captain Jake" wrote

I agree, that is a much better analysis, except at the end where she
kind of falls apart.
She tried to pull an easter bunny out of a very dark hat, I am afraid <g>.
So, right now it looks like I will do C++ during work hours and Delphi
on my own time. Dejavu, same as back in 1998-2000. The more things
change, the more they stay the same.
Glad to hear you will be{*word*154} around. I would miss ya.
bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

"I.P. Nichols" wrote

Another interpretation is that Microsoft has "seen the light" and the
result is Silverlight.
Silverlight is an interesting technology, but I don't see that it answers to
the breadth of claims the columnist was making about this brave new world.
bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

Bob Dawson <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Glad to hear you will be{*word*154} around. I would miss ya.
Well, somebody needs to lecture the kids on economics...<g>
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.7.3389

Re: Is It Safe?

Bob Dawson writes:
Perhaps it is true that "you can
build a cool application or service simply by mashing up other existing
services"--but good luck maintaining and extending it when the pieces are
evolving separately and no one in the building understands how more than
some little piece of it works.
That called job security :-)
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Is It Safe?

It seems Ballmer is letting on as this blend of GUI, Webbased, Enterprise
and Desktop apps is something new that M$ is just discovering. I think that
every person in this newsgroup has been innovating that paradigm for years
..
Maybe we should pool our money and buy M$ :-)

Re: Is It Safe?

I agree with Jake,
I'm still doing the same thing I was doing when the IBM360-30 hit the street
.. taking in data and turning out reports.
The end product is always the same and the source never changes .. data in
..reports out
The constant churn of tools has been a real challenge .. some of them seem
to just exists as ways of doing things that are an end to themselves and
dont have any real impact on the day to day actities of the businesses that
use our software.
It seems that programming is starting to ask that age old question .. "Why
am I here .. ???" I hope the answer isn't "So you can use this new tool."

Re: Is It Safe?

Captain,
| So, right now it looks like I will do C++ during work hours and
| Delphi on my own time. Dejavu, same as back in 1998-2000. The more
| things change, the more they stay the same.
I think that you have made a good analysis and decision. Kudos.
07/28/2007 10:51:52
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Is It Safe?

Del,
| I hope the answer isn't "So you can use this new tool."
So do I. Unfortunately, it seems to me that I see much too much of the
"form over function" mentality these days. <sigh>
We "ol'timers" are a dying breed.
--
Q <proponent of elegant simplicity>
07/28/2007 10:54:08
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Is It Safe?

<Captain Jake wrote
Repeatedly in my career I have seen programmers let go, or nothing
significant done to retain them, that were the only ones that knew how
a vital part of the system worked.
And even were that not true, it remains that 'security though obscurity'
isn't any better an idea in job security than it is in cryptography.
bobD

Re: Is It Safe?

Darn right Van,
I'm gonna start beatin these darn kids with my cane ... if my O2 hose will
reach that far