Lost records (BDE/Paradox)

Can anybody help to explain how a big chunk of records can go missing from a Paradox table? The table is accessed using the BDE, does not appear to be corrupt and the records have not been deleted manually.....but a large number of them have just vanished for no reason I can find. This has happened several times now but had not happened in the previous few months with the same application.

Thanks in advance.

Re:Lost records (BDE/Paradox)

> Can anybody help to explain how a big chunk of records can go missing

from a Paradox table?

It was probably because someone's PC locked up or they rebooted while
connected to the database.

It could also be that someone across the street sneezed or that it is an
odd day of the month or that you looked at your monitor the wrong way.
(translation = it's way too easy to corrupt Paradox tables)  :)

Welcome to Paradox.  I've see a several MB data file get truncated to
128 bytes (i.e. 100% of the data was lost).

IMHO, my suggestion is to move to a client/server database where the
client doesn't do the database access (updating of the data files and
indices).  As long as you are using Paradox, dBase, Access, etc. you
have a high probability of data corruption.

David R.

Re:Lost records (BDE/Paradox)

There are only two possibilities.

1) The table or index is corrupt.
2) Someone or some application deleted the records.

Try rebuilding the table with the table repair program at www.rksolution.cz
.

--
Bill