Requestlive and MS SQL Server

Greetings:

    Does the requestlive property of the TQuery component work with
    MS SQL Server in a client/server application?
    (With Requestlive := true).    The documentation
    says that it must use LOCAL SQL syntax.  If it does work with
    MS SQL Server how would you specify the database?  If someone
    has done this, please give an example of the SQL syntax for
    this situation.  Also, would it work for dynamic SQL?

                                 Thanks in advance....Ed Band

                                 <eb...@pica.army.mil>

Re:Requestlive and MS SQL Server

In article <3193AC36.2...@PICA.ARMY.MIL>, eb...@PICA.ARMY.MIL says...

>Greetings:

>    Does the requestlive property of the TQuery component work with
>    MS SQL Server in a client/server application?
>    (With Requestlive := true).    The documentation
>    says that it must use LOCAL SQL syntax.  If it does work with
>    MS SQL Server how would you specify the database?  If someone
>    has done this, please give an example of the SQL syntax for
>    this situation.  Also, would it work for dynamic SQL?

Yes, you can use requestlive := true for tables on an MS SQL server.  Take a
look and see ( in databasse explorer) to see if you tables on the SQL server
come up names something like dbo.tablename  If so, this is the way you need to
reference them in a TQuery:

select *
from "dbo.tablename"
where "dbo.tablename".field name := stuff

This is the type of thing we had to do get things to work.  The wonderful
Borland help literature is pretty sparse on this stuff...

Also, you will run into trouble if you try using nested selects or multiple
table joins with requestlive on even if you use the correct syntax.  There are
some workarounds for this...there are some tools from Guernsey software called
ODBC Direct which allow for very complex queries with live data.  I have heard
you can work around this by using the SQL Update component too, but, I haven't
tried it yet.

Good luck!!

Kelly
kgr...@acxiom.com