TTCP component vs APRO TWinsockPort

I am considering the Delphi TTCP component and the TWinsockPort
component from the TurboPower APRO package, for my application
that needs communication beteween applications on the LAN and
perhaps also the Internet.

Does anyone have any comments or experience on using these
2 components? Are they good? Any problems?

Anders J

---------------------------
Anders Johansson
Hadelko AB
http://www.hadelko.se
---------------------------

Re:TTCP component vs APRO TWinsockPort

In article <34E6D44D.5...@hadelko.se>, someone calling themselves and...@hadelko.se wrote:

>I am considering the Delphi TTCP component and the TWinsockPort
>component from the TurboPower APRO package, for my application
>that needs communication beteween applications on the LAN and
>perhaps also the Internet.
>Does anyone have any comments or experience on using these
>2 components? Are they good? Any problems?

I haven't seen the ASync Pro TCP components, but I have just finished
part of a major Server app which uses D3's TServerSocket for network
comms, and I'm very impressed.

I too would be interested to hear about the APRO components - what
advantages are there in using them over the T*Socket components which
come with D3???

Cheers,

=\|===========|/==========- The Mabster:  mhamil...@bunge.com.au -==

Re:TTCP component vs APRO TWinsockPort

> I am considering the Delphi TTCP component and the TWinsockPort
> component from the TurboPower APRO package, for my application
> that needs communication beteween applications on the LAN and
> perhaps also the Internet.

You could also consider using TWSocket and the whole Internet Component
Suite (ICS). You'll get freeware, native VCL, full source code, free
support, many sample programs, all major protocol support and much more.
Download from http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/indexuk.htm

--

francois.pie...@ping.be

Re:TTCP component vs APRO TWinsockPort

FYI, here is the help for Sockets and Async Professional from Turbopower's new
2.5 help file:

Async Professional includes a device layer, AwWnsock, which utilizes Winsock
for network and Internet communications. See Device Independence for more
information on device layers.

The Async Professional implementation of Winsock consists of two components.
TApdWinsockPort is a component that replaces the TApdComPort component and can
be placed on a form at design time. TApdWinsock includes properties to allow
you to set the network address, the port number, and the mode of the socket
(server mode or client mode).

TApdWinsockPort is derived from TApdCustomComPort and therefore inherits all of
its properties and methods. Many of these properties and methods are not
applicable to TApdWinsockPort when operating in Winsock mode, but are retained
in the descendent component so that TApdWinsockPort behaves exactly like
TApdComPort when the DeviceLayer property is not set to dlWinsock. The
properties and methods that do not apply to Winsock operation (e.g., Baud,
DataBits, Parity, and StopBits) are simply ignored when DeviceLayer is set to
dlWinsock. Certain Async Professional components (e.g., the modem and TAPI
components) are not applicable when using the dlWinsock device layer. Faxing
over the Internet is not supported because Internet faxing uses a different
protocol than faxmodems.

TApdSocket is a low-level component that provides access to most standard
Winsock services. This component is used internally by Async Professional. A
global instance of this component, ApdSocket, is created for use by the Winsock
device layer in the initialization code of the AwWnsock unit. In most cases you
wont need to, but you can create your own instance of this class.

The Winsock support in Async Professional is not intended as a full-featured
Winsock implementation. Rather, it is intended to allow you to perform basic
communications operations over local networks or over the Internet. Certain
concessions were made (such as allowing only one client connection to a server
socket) to allow the Winsock implementation to fit into the existing Async
Professional communications model.

See Also: Winsock and Async Professional

From reading this it is not a full implementation but it does allow the same
component to be used to drive a Modem or a network connection.

Bill :-)
Bill Burt, Jr.
BBur...@AOL.COM

Other Threads