IB7 Gbak with garbage collection turned on takes ages

Our lovely 14gig database is taking ages to backup with garbage collection
turned on.  It has been running now for 19 hours, and this morning was only
using 3% cpu.  I reniced the process (re prioritised it) and now it is using
a little more.  It has backup up almost all the data as the backup file is
now 7.2 gig, and monday nights backup was 8.6gig.

Any idea why it would take so long.  And how we can speed it up?

James

Re:IB7 Gbak with garbage collection turned on takes ages

Well, you would think it was a harddrive type of thing, but it really
wasn't.  I actually stopped it after 20 hours and did another backup with
garbage collection turned off.  It took 1.5 hours to finish.
In the stats it said it wasn't sweeping.  And at the time the OIT/OAT were 1
different.  Is there a statistic that shows the count of the records to
garbage collect.

James

"Jason Chapman (JAC2)" <ja...@jac2.co.uk> wrote in message

> I would expect CPU to be low as it is a disk bound process.

> You might want to look at the DB Stats to see if the garbage collection is
> actually doing its job or whether the DB needs a sweep/ backup & restore
> move stuck TX's on.

> Can you send the Stats page?

> Cheers,

> JAC.

> "James Noonan" <mor4...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Our lovely 14gig database is taking ages to backup with garbage
collection
> > turned on.  It has been running now for 19 hours, and this morning was
> only
> > using 3% cpu.  I reniced the process (re prioritised it) and now it is
> using
> > a little more.  It has backup up almost all the data as the backup file
is
> > now 7.2 gig, and monday nights backup was 8.6gig.

> > Any idea why it would take so long.  And how we can speed it up?

> > James

Re:IB7 Gbak with garbage collection turned on takes ages

In article <3e25e48...@newsgroups.borland.com>, mor4...@hotmail.com
says...
> Is there a statistic that shows the count of the records to
> garbage collect.

        InterBase Performance Monitor gives you quite a bit of information
on this subject.  It won't tell you records to GC, but it will tell you
pages, plus how many records have been GCed already on each table, etc.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com

Other Threads