avoiding Paradox Problems

I am porting a POS aplication from DOS to Delphi and is almost finnish.
Using paradox tables and Delphi 3. I read lots of warnning about using
Paradox Table on a network enviroment. Because is my first aplication on
Delphi, I have lots of Ttables on my main Forms, some of them refering to
the same table. The code need to be cleaned. I read that Paradox was stable
as long you open an close the Tables.
Does these mean I should have open very few Table at once. What do you
recommend? Should I open and close the tables that are not visible on other
forms that are not visible at the moment?
On the demo application en the Delphi 3 CD they open the table when entering
a form even if the table was opened on de Data Module. Do I have to open the
Table every time I enter a form if data is on a datamodule?
I am worring to mush?
In Delphi I am using around 10 fisical tables and access to then in more
than one TTable to use diferent index and diferent fields setups. Is there a
procatical limit to the numbers of Ttables? What should I avoid?
At the moment I have the TTables on the forms and on my clean up I am moving
it to a DataModule.
Mi DOS programs is stable and is usually running on a network up to 4 or 5
users. Usually there are 2 users.

I know that maybe this explanation are too general but I want to avoid
problems when deploing my first Beta.

Carlos

Re:avoiding Paradox Problems

Use local share = True,
close all tables in code before
the application closes,
use a ups on every machine,
set the net directory correctly,
set the private directory correctly,
hope that no one reboots with
the application running,
become familiar withTUtil32.dll

"Carlos Aneses" <carlo...@prtc.net> wrote in message

> I am porting a POS aplication from DOS to Delphi and is almost finnish.
> Using paradox tables and Delphi 3. I read lots of warnning about using
> Paradox Table on a network enviroment. Because is my first aplication on
> Delphi, I have lots of Ttables on my main Forms, some of them refering to
> the same table. The code need to be cleaned. I read that Paradox was
stable
> as long you open an close the Tables.
> Does these mean I should have open very few Table at once. What do you
> recommend? Should I open and close the tables that are not visible on
other
> forms that are not visible at the moment?
> On the demo application en the Delphi 3 CD they open the table when
entering
> a form even if the table was opened on de Data Module. Do I have to open
the
> Table every time I enter a form if data is on a datamodule?
> I am worring to mush?
> In Delphi I am using around 10 fisical tables and access to then in more
> than one TTable to use diferent index and diferent fields setups. Is there
> procatical limit to the numbers of Ttables? What should I avoid?
> At the moment I have the TTables on the forms and on my clean up I am
moving
> it to a DataModule.
> Mi DOS programs is stable and is usually running on a network up to 4 or 5
> users. Usually there are 2 users.

> I know that maybe this explanation are too general but I want to avoid
> problems when deploing my first Beta.

> Carlos

Re:avoiding Paradox Problems

I have been using Paradox tables since 1985 (Paradox for DOS 1.0) and my
experience is that they are stable on a stable network. Make sure you
configure the BDE as described in TI247B at
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti. Closing tables whenever you can will
reduce the risk of corruption if a user's PC crashes. There is a sample
table repair program at www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/utilities.html.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)