ADO + MS SQL 2000 + threads

I've written a program in Delphi 6 that creates a variable number of thread
and each thread creates an ADOConnection and executes two queries.
It seems that:
- I have not limit on simultaneus ADOConnection I can create (and obviusly
open);
- the simultaneus queries on the different connections run concurrently;
- to improve performance I don't need to cache ADOConnections, as they are
already cached by ADO itself.

Is all this real or I'm wrong in something?

Thanks, Damiano Curia

Re:ADO + MS SQL 2000 + threads

>- I have not limit on simultaneus ADOConnection I can create (and obviusly
>open);
>- the simultaneus queries on the different connections run concurrently;
>- to improve performance I don't need to cache ADOConnections, as they are
>already cached by ADO itself.

>Is all this real

Yes that is how you can use connections
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:ADO + MS SQL 2000 + threads

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:17:55 -0500, Brian Bushay TeamB

<BBus...@Nmpls.com> wrote:
>>- I have not limit on simultaneus ADOConnection I can create (and obviusly
>>open);
>>- the simultaneus queries on the different connections run concurrently;
>>- to improve performance I don't need to cache ADOConnections, as they are
>>already cached by ADO itself.

>>Is all this real

>Yes that is how you can use connections

But I believe that licensing at the server _may_ be exceeded..

eg Server License =10 users

2 PC's running 2 programs with 5 connections = 10 users?

This _may_ not be a problem depending on the servers
(MSSQL/DB2/AS400/etc.) license restrictions.

If the server has a regulator that does not detect machines instead of
connections then it may reject connections &/or throttle back

However this is very provider specific.

Jon
--

Integrated 400 Solutions Ltd.

Jonathan Wilson, AS/400 consultant/director

24 Hours: 07775 638904

Re:ADO + MS SQL 2000 + threads

in re MSSQL, the licenses are counted per host connected to the server
(except middleware...another story...) so these connections will all use
only one license on MSSQL.
> But I believe that licensing at the server _may_ be exceeded..

> eg Server License =10 users

> 2 PC's running 2 programs with 5 connections = 10 users?

> This _may_ not be a problem depending on the servers
> (MSSQL/DB2/AS400/etc.) license restrictions.

> If the server has a regulator that does not detect machines instead of
> connections then it may reject connections &/or throttle back

> However this is very provider specific.

> Jon
> --

> Integrated 400 Solutions Ltd.

> Jonathan Wilson, AS/400 consultant/director

> 24 Hours: 07775 638904

Other Threads