need help / advice on a delphi 1.0 and paradox 5 multi user database

hi,

I have just finished making a program that requires up to 8 computers to
access a paradox database at the same time (the 8 computers are all going
to different records in the database) and they all seem to work fine.

but here is the problem, if another computer connects to the the database
at the same time to modify some data (of a completely different record
that is not being used by any of the other 8 computers) i always get a
'record/key deleted' error on all of the 8 computers.

can someone please help me out with this error?

thanks
steve brown
brown...@montrealnet.ca
brown...@readyornet.com

Re:need help / advice on a delphi 1.0 and paradox 5 multi user database

Steve Brown wrote:

> hi,

> I have just finished making a program that requires up to 8 computers to
> access a paradox database at the same time (the 8 computers are all going
> to different records in the database) and they all seem to work fine.

> but here is the problem, if another computer connects to the the database
> at the same time to modify some data (of a completely different record
> that is not being used by any of the other 8 computers) i always get a
> 'record/key deleted' error on all of the 8 computers.

> can someone please help me out with this error?

> thanks
> steve brown
> brown...@montrealnet.ca
> brown...@readyornet.com
> Check you code for how you lock your tables.  Try putting a full lock when running the process that does the

modification, and a "while...prevent full lock" loop on the others.  That way the other clients won't be in the
middle of viewing a table that changes in the middle of thier opperation.

Re:need help / advice on a delphi 1.0 and paradox 5 multi user database

If my understanding of the Borland Database Engine is correct, the table
on a network "file server" can be shared by all BDE users as long as your
CFG is configured properly and all users are pointing to the same location
on the network for the pdoxuser.net file. The BDE will handle all Table,
Record locking. If a user is editing a record the BDE only locks that
record, access to the rest of the table will not and should not be locked.

Fredrick Bartlett

Other Threads