password protection

I want to encrypt a password in Delphi 1.0 to store it in a fle.  Is
there a built-in function I can use? If not, does anybody know a
method to implement in Delphi?

Thankz in advance

cuddleg...@bigfoot.com

Re:password protection

In article <33c4ded8.13030...@news.pt.lu> cuddleg...@bigfoot.com (Goofy) writes:
>I want to encrypt a password in Delphi 1.0 to store it in a fle.  Is
>there a built-in function I can use? If not, does anybody know a
>method to implement in Delphi?

Almost any function involving random-numbers or somesuch can be used to mask a
character string such that no one but a cryptologist would find it.  Churn it
out as hexadecimal characters and read it back in.  Insert a random amount of
random garbage before and/or after the string, or interspersed within it, so
that if the user writes out the same string 100 times he gets 100 different
ciphertexts.  Push the signal-to-noise ratio sufficiently high and your
password should be reasonably safe.

Re:password protection

(Goofy) writes:

  >>I want to encrypt a password in Delphi 1.0 to store it in a fle.  Is
  >>there a built-in function I can use? If not, does anybody know a
  >>method to implement in Delphi?
  >
  >
  >Almost any function involving random-numbers or somesuch can be used =
to mask a=20
  >character string such that no one but a cryptologist would find it.  =
Churn it=20
  >out as hexadecimal characters and read it back in.  Insert a random =
amount of=20
  >random garbage before and/or after the string, or interspersed within =
it, so=20
  >that if the user writes out the same string 100 times he gets 100 =
different=20
  >ciphertexts.  Push the signal-to-noise ratio sufficiently high and =
your=20
  >password should be reasonably safe.

I use the same encryption function that Interbase uses to encrypt the
passwords for it's users. It's a one -way encryption. Drop me an email
if you want to get the source code.

Paul

Other Threads