Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

Hello everybody!

I would like to send files from my Delphi-Program from every computer.
That means, also on computers where people don't have an eMail-client
installed.

So I need a way to send eMails without an SMTP-Server.

Is there perhaps a way to communicate to sendmail on a server?

Greetings,
Daniel

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

Daniel Mller <stryk...@gmx.de> schreef in berichtnieuws
944l4t$de...@riker.addcom.de...

> Hello everybody!

> I would like to send files from my Delphi-Program from every computer.
> That means, also on computers where people don't have an eMail-client
> installed.

> So I need a way to send eMails without an SMTP-Server.

If I'm correct you want to be able to send email from computers where you
don't have access to an SMTP-server? Most easiest solution: find an
SMTP-server somewhere on the net you can access from anywhere (can be
difficult because of anti-spam policies...). Otherwise you have to build an
SMTP-server into your application.

> Is there perhaps a way to communicate to sendmail on a server?

If you HAVE access to an SMTP-server you only have to build an SMTP-client
into your application with a standard SMTP-component. But this question is
in contradiction with your first: a way to send eMails without an
SMTP-Server. There you were saying you don't have access to a server and now
you say you have access to a server... (???)

> Greetings,
> Daniel

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

For the mail protocol an SMTP-Server is a MUST. So you just can't get along
without it, but you can get around the problem by passing the
messagebody/... to a cgi-script (on a server of your choice) that sends it
as an e-mail (e.g. via sendmail) directly away to your desired destination.

Hope that helped, Greetings

Horst Fickenscher

"Horst Fickenscher" <h...@hf0.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>So you just can't get along
> without it, but you can get around the problem by passing the
> messagebody/... to a cgi-script (on a server of your choice) that sends it
> as an e-mail (e.g. via sendmail) directly away to your desired

destination.

I've got an Sendmail-CGI-Script on my server (from Matt's Script Archive).
Can I "speak" to this script with a Delphi-Program? If so, how?

Cu,
Daniel

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

"Stefan" <S.C.L.vande...@wbmt.tudelft.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>Most easiest solution: find an
> SMTP-server somewhere on the net you can access from anywhere (can be
> difficult because of anti-spam policies...).

YES! This is exactly my problem. Until now I'm doing it with Delphi's
SMTP-Component.
But I didn't find an "open" SMTP-Server which must also be reliable.

> If you HAVE access to an SMTP-server you only have to build an SMTP-client
> into your application with a standard SMTP-component.

I have got an SMTP-Server, but perhaps not those people you operate with my
program!
My SMTP-Server has got this "anti-spam" system!

CU,
Daniel

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:02:21 +0100, "Stefan"

<S.C.L.vande...@wbmt.tudelft.nl> wrote:
>SMTP-server somewhere on the net you can access from anywhere (can be
>difficult because of anti-spam policies...). Otherwise you have to build an
>SMTP-server into your application.

This is an extract of the readme file for a component i found.  The
website is www.legitima.com

i believe it is exactly what the original poster was looking for.  It
is shareware though.  What you can do is read the rfc smtp servers and
how they operate.  I tried telnetting into a smtp server and using the
rfc was able to send emails without the email client.  Presumably the
same thing can be done to the target ISP.  You probably *would* need
the DNS address to lookup the target ISP from the email address.

Hope my rambling helps.

--begin quote
  TSmtpRelayServer is a Delphi 3/4 component.
  This component acts like a SMTP server, delivering e-mail directly
to the
  recipients, without the need of an ISP SMTP server.
  TSmtpRelayServer gives you INSTANT feedback about every message
sent. So you
  can, for instance, discard the invalid recipients of your e-mailing
list.
  Because TSmtpRelayServer works with several connections at once,
sending
  multiple e-mails at the same time, it is the perfect tool for
building any
  mass e-mail application.
  TSmtpRelayServer also lets you to customize the message body of
every e-mail.
--end quote

regards,
Ian

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

> I've got an Sendmail-CGI-Script on my server (from Matt's Script Archive).
> Can I "speak" to this script with a Delphi-Program? If so, how?

This would be my last choice, as there are so many good components
that can send mail, however, to answer your question, yes, in general,
you can fire up a script from a Delphi program.

You would execute the script interpret, passing the script and additional
data on the command line. Search around for the utility WinExecAndWait32.

Joe

"Joe C. Hecht" <joehe...@code4sale.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> You would execute the script interpret, passing the script and additional
> data on the command line. Search around for the utility WinExecAndWait32.

All I found was the following routine to start applikations from Delphi and
wait,
when its ended. But how can I use this routine to call
www.myhost.com/cgi-bin/formmail.pl with
some values for the editfields?

Daniel

function WinExecAndWait32(FileName:String; Visibility : integer):integer;
var
  zAppName:array[0..512] of char;
  zCurDir:array[0..255] of char;
  WorkDir:String;
  StartupInfo:TStartupInfo;
  ProcessInfo:TProcessInformation;
begin
  StrPCopy(zAppName,FileName);
  GetDir(0,WorkDir);
  StrPCopy(zCurDir,WorkDir);
  FillChar(StartupInfo,Sizeof(StartupInfo),#0);
  StartupInfo.cb := Sizeof(StartupInfo);

  StartupInfo.dwFlags := STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW;
  StartupInfo.wShowWindow := Visibility;
  if not CreateProcess(nil,
    zAppName,                      { pointer to command line string }
    nil,                           { pointer to process security
attributes }
    nil,                           { pointer to thread security attributes }
    false,                         { handle inheritance flag }
    CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE or          { creation flags }
    NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS,
    nil,                           { pointer to new environment block }
    nil,                           { pointer to current directory name }
    StartupInfo,                   { pointer to STARTUPINFO }
    ProcessInfo) then Result := -1 { pointer to PROCESS_INF }

  else begin
    WaitforSingleObject(ProcessInfo.hProcess,INFINITE);
    GetExitCodeProcess(ProcessInfo.hProcess,Result);

Re:Sending eMails without SMTP-Server

OK, this is what to do. Set up a hotmail account, and sign up for as
many spam-mail letters possible. Search through the headers to see
what server they come from. Then test them by connecting to the SMTP
port on that server. The commands are simple, read an RFC on how to
use them. Approx. 1/10th of the mails you get, should contain servers
you can use. This varies a lot...

Regards,
a guy that wishes to be anonymous....

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:35:23 +0100, "Daniel Mller" <stryk...@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Hello everybody!

>I would like to send files from my Delphi-Program from every computer.
>That means, also on computers where people don't have an eMail-client
>installed.

>So I need a way to send eMails without an SMTP-Server.

>Is there perhaps a way to communicate to sendmail on a server?

>Greetings,
>Daniel

Other Threads