Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

Hi,

I am developing a project that will access SQL Server 7.
Which product would be the most convenient:
1) ADO
2) BDE
3) 3rd party (Could you please suggest a few)

Are there any known issues? Which ones?
I know there is no ideal one, but I am looking
for the component set that will have the least issues
in my application needs.

TIA.

Clment

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

Dear TIA,

More detail?

Do you want to install driver ie: SQL 7 client, ADO, BDE on every client
machine or not?
If not, MIDAS is one way to go.

Best Regards
Leigh Wanstead

Clment Doss <cd...@dhs.com.br> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I am developing a project that will access SQL Server 7.
> Which product would be the most convenient:
> 1) ADO
> 2) BDE
> 3) 3rd party (Could you please suggest a few)

> Are there any known issues? Which ones?
> I know there is no ideal one, but I am looking
> for the component set that will have the least issues
> in my application needs.

> TIA.

> Clment

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

You can try SQL direct:
http://www.sqldirect-soft.com

I tried several BDE replacements and this one seems one of the best.
ADO is also good alternative, if client machine has over 64 MB ram.
--
----------------------
Regards

Clment Doss wrote in message <38FF7CDB.1CBD...@dhs.com.br>...
>Hi,

>I am developing a project that will access SQL Server 7.
>Which product would be the most convenient:
>1) ADO
>2) BDE
>3) 3rd party (Could you please suggest a few)

>Are there any known issues? Which ones?
>I know there is no ideal one, but I am looking
>for the component set that will have the least issues
>in my application needs.

>TIA.

>Clment

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

Try SQLQuery at http://www.component-store.com It's fast and easy to use!

Thomas Werner

"Clment Doss" <cd...@dhs.com.br> skrev i meddelandet

> Hi,

> I am developing a project that will access SQL Server 7.
> Which product would be the most convenient:
> 1) ADO
> 2) BDE
> 3) 3rd party (Could you please suggest a few)

> Are there any known issues? Which ones?
> I know there is no ideal one, but I am looking
> for the component set that will have the least issues
> in my application needs.

> TIA.

> Clment

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

Agreed - SQLdirect is nice.  But does it support features that are
specific to 7.0 ?

Aage J.

Robert Cerny wrote:
> You can try SQL direct:
> http://www.sqldirect-soft.com

> I tried several BDE replacements and this one seems one of the best.
> ADO is also good alternative, if client machine has over 64 MB ram.
> --
> ----------------------
> Regards
> Robert Cerny
> Remove both qwe when replying
> email: robert.qwe.ce...@neosys.xrs.qwe.si

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

Unfortunately, if you meant about char with size more 255, then it isn't
supported. So that's impossible through DB-Lib.

Best Regards,
Yuri Sheino,
Creator of the SQLDirect
www.sqldirect-soft.com

Aage Johansen wrote in message <39042862.53F31...@kreftreg.no>...
>Agreed - SQLdirect is nice.  But does it support features that are
>specific to 7.0 ?

>Aage J.

>Robert Cerny wrote:

>> You can try SQL direct:
>> http://www.sqldirect-soft.com

>> I tried several BDE replacements and this one seems one of the best.
>> ADO is also good alternative, if client machine has over 64 MB ram.
>> --
>> ----------------------
>> Regards
>> Robert Cerny
>> Remove both qwe when replying
>> email: robert.qwe.ce...@neosys.xrs.qwe.si

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

I have no idea. Don't use SQL server 7. And don't know what are its specific
features.
Contact the author. There's also a FAQ on his page.

--
----------------------
Regards
Robert Cerny
Remove both qwe when replying

Aage Johansen wrote in message <39042862.53F31...@kreftreg.no>...
>Agreed - SQLdirect is nice.  But does it support features that are
>specific to 7.0 ?

>Aage J.

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

I don't find that feature particularly useful. If you need char field>255,
you use memo.
Blob fields are fetched separately for better performance, because if a
varchar(4K) was in-record, fixed record length would be increased for these
4K, but you rarely fill it to the full length, so big part of block remains
unused.

The only exception is OLE-DB, as it has per-se so much overhead, so adding
this kind of little more overhead in meaningless.

--
----------------------

Yuri Sheino wrote in message <956576731.479...@cpl2500.cit.org.by>...
>Unfortunately, if you meant about char with size more 255, then it isn't
>supported. So that's impossible through DB-Lib.

>Best Regards,
>Yuri Sheino,
>Creator of the SQLDirect
>www.sqldirect-soft.com

Re:Alternative ways to access SQL Server 7

1. Check Kyle Cordes's BDE Alternatives Guide at:

http://www.kylecordes.com

2. If you just want to choose between BDE and ADO and you are only
considering SQL Server 7 I recommend trying ADO first. Only look at the
BDE if you have convinced yourself that ADO is not going to work for
you.

3. Use TQuery wherever you have a choice between a TQuery or a TTable.
DO NOT use TTables if you want to avoid performance problems with more
than a few thousand records.

Chris.

In article <38FF7CDB.1CBD...@dhs.com.br>,
  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment?= Doss <cd...@dhs.com.br> wrote:

> Hi,

> I am developing a project that will access SQL Server 7.
> Which product would be the most convenient:
> 1) ADO
> 2) BDE
> 3) 3rd party (Could you please suggest a few)

> Are there any known issues? Which ones?
> I know there is no ideal one, but I am looking
> for the component set that will have the least issues
> in my application needs.

> TIA.

> Clment

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/