Sybase : slow using 32 bit - fast using 16 bit

We have an existing application which runs well under 16 bit.  It was
originally developed for win31 using d1.  The typical config was a pentium
75 w/ 8MB ram.  Queries were via the intersolve odbc (CT-LIB).

After conversion to native sybase 32 bit (D3),  the query speed went from
15s to 57s.  Upgrading the users PC to 32 MB improved performance to around
25 s.  Still slower than than the old 16 bit app on an 8 MB machine.

Is there any fix for this 'downgrade'

Regards
Peter

Re:Sybase : slow using 32 bit - fast using 16 bit

I had a similar expririence.  The slow down is due to the fact that
inter-process communication takes a context switch in 95 an NT.  This is
relatively slow, but necessary because now all programs have their own
separate address space.  The only thing to do about that is to reduce the
not the amount of communication, but certainly the number of communications
made.  Many small communications are you bottleneck.  See if you can
somehow group them to send them in batch.
--
Van den Driessche Willy

Willy.Van.den.Driess...@Skynet.be

peter williamson <p...@pacific.net.sg> wrote in article
<35b2c62...@news.{*word*104}way.com.sg>...

> We have an existing application which runs well under 16 bit.  It was
> originally developed for win31 using d1.  The typical config was a
pentium
> 75 w/ 8MB ram.  Queries were via the intersolve odbc (CT-LIB).

> After conversion to native sybase 32 bit (D3),  the query speed went from
> 15s to 57s.  Upgrading the users PC to 32 MB improved performance to
around
> 25 s.  Still slower than than the old 16 bit app on an 8 MB machine.

> Is there any fix for this 'downgrade'

> Regards
> Peter

Other Threads