Installation Issues on existing IB Server

Hi

I am trying to install a delphi application at a site that already has a
server with IB 6.0 installed. The IB server installation was done by a
consultant who developed one of their db applications.

My installation program places the gdb on the server. But the users are not
able use the delphi client. Apparantly the password for sysdba was changed
by the consultant and they are unable to get a hold of him.

What are my options? How is it possible to install IB based apps in existing
server installations without going to a different machine? Is it possible to
run two IB Servers on the same machine?

Thank You

Re:Installation Issues on existing IB Server

You need to have the SYSDBA password if your application logs in as SYSDBA.
If you cannot get hold of the password you may have to replace the existing
ISC4.GDB with one that contains a SYSDBA password that you know. However,
when you do this you will lose all of the users in the existing ISC4.GDB.

--
Bill

Re:Installation Issues on existing IB Server

I tried that and thats what happend. The existing app stopped working. Is
there a way to add a user without having the sysdba password. I can pretty
much use sysdba2 in my app and have it log in that way.

I think i brought a similar issue up at the last BORCON but the context was
that of a silent install with no intervention.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> You need to have the SYSDBA password if your application logs in as SYSDBA.
> If you cannot get hold of the password you may have to replace the existing
> ISC4.GDB with one that contains a SYSDBA password that you know. However,
> when you do this you will lose all of the users in the existing ISC4.GDB.

After changing to a 'clean' isc4.gdb with SYSDBA/masterkey, you can
write a small program to copy records from the USER table in the other
isc4.gdb into the new one (do skip that SYSDBA record!).
Haven't tried this myself ...

Regards,
Aage J.

Re:Installation Issues on existing IB Server

Thanks. Super Idea. I will try it.

Faizulla Khan wrote:

> Thanks. Super Idea. I will try it.

Maybe it is easier to just copy the (encrypted) password from the
'{*word*269}' isc4.gdb ro the old one.  You should then be able to log in
with "masterkey", and you have kept any old user info.

Regards,
Aage J.

Re:Installation Issues on existing IB Server

{*word*193} solutions but seems to be doing ok.
The old app was using sysdba to log in with the password coming from a dll.
The users were not
required to login.

I duplicated the old isc4.gdb and replaced it with a new one. Created a new
user id for my app and then
I added back the old sysdba info. Have not tried it in production mode, just
in my lab. Hope it works.

This is an issue for anyone hoping to do a silent un-attended install using
interbase. The security i think should be based
on the GDB not the server. Essentially I am at the mercy of anyone who had
the chance to do a first install and change the masterkey password.

> Faizulla Khan wrote:

> > Thanks. Super Idea. I will try it.

> Maybe it is easier to just copy the (encrypted) password from the
> '{*word*269}' isc4.gdb ro the old one.  You should then be able to log in
> with "masterkey", and you have kept any old user info.

> Regards,
> Aage J.

Other Threads