Multi-User software...

Hi,

    I've been working with Delphi nearly a year and I've never used SQL (I
don't know if I'll need it) or designed multi-user software... I was asked
to design an application that uses databases  where the data should be
shared on a network: The software would be installed on the servers with the
databases and installed on the workstations just using the server's
databases.... I really need ideas!

                                Francisco Dalla R. Soared

Re:Multi-User software...

For a multi-user application your best choice is a SQL database server, such
as InterBase. There is an open source version that you can download from
http://mers.com . The best data access component set for InterBase is the
InterBase Express components. You can download the latest version from Code
Central.

--
Bill

Re:Multi-User software...

But where can I find some stuff to teach me SQL I'm a beginner on this
subject....

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> For a multi-user application your best choice is a SQL database server,
such
> as InterBase. There is an open source version that you can download from
> http://mers.com . The best data access component set for InterBase is the
> InterBase Express components. You can download the latest version from
Code
> Central.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Multi-User software...

If you decide to user InterBase open source you can download the manuals
(actually the IB 6 beta docs) from www.borland.com/techpubs/delphi. Look for
SQL for Dummies at your local library. For more advanced techniques SQL for
Smarties by Joe Celko is good. If you want something on-line try
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp .

--
Bill

Re:Multi-User software...

Another Thing,

Will I need to design a server application and a client application, isn't
it?

> For a multi-user application your best choice is a SQL database server,
such
> as InterBase. There is an open source version that you can download from
> http://mers.com . The best data access component set for InterBase is the
> InterBase Express components. You can download the latest version from
Code
> Central.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Multi-User software...

> But where can I find some stuff to teach me SQL I'm a beginner on this
> subject....

You probably want to get some books, but here are some links to get you
started:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/
http://www.sqlcourse.com/
http://sqlcourse2.com/
http://www.cs.unibo.it/~ciaccia/COURSES/RESOURCES/SQLTutorial/sqlcont...

JD

Re:Multi-User software...

> Will I need to design a server application and a client application, isn't
> it?

Depends. You can also point several applications to the same data
folder. In this case you don't need a server, but if you are gonna have
more than a few people connected to the same database or have lots of
traffic,  recommend a real client/server solution.

Which one to choose also depends on what you application looks like.
Having 10, 1000 or 100000 people connect to the same DB, all requires
different solutions.

For simple client/server I recommend DBISAM (www.elevatesoft.com). For
more complex client/server Interbase or MYSQL are the most cost
efficient solutions.

JD

Other Threads