Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

Hi,

We seem to be getting a pattern amongst our clients, where on a network a
mixture of Celeron and Pentium chip causes Index Out of Date issues.  At two
clients we have replaced Celeron PCs with Pentiums and no longer experienced
issues.

We are using Paradox and BDE 5.01.

Is anyone aware of anything in this vain or am I clutching at very slippery
straws?

Thanks

Alex

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

Hi,

Not that I'm aware of. We've got lots of paradox files on a network > 10
users with a mixture of Intel Celeton, Pentium and AMD with no problems
whatsoever.

Forgive me if you know this, but the following is most common problems for
corrupt indexes:

* BDE's Localshare set to false. (This can cause problems. I always set this
to True).

* NT Server using opportunistic locking. (NT Does this by default. If you're
running a NT server, you should turn Opportunistic locking to false).

* Using different path strings for pdoxnet file. ie, Don't allow one
computer to look at an address of  \\server\pdoxnet and another looking at
F:\PDOXNET. Either have all of them looking at a mapped network drive, or
all of them looking directly at the address.

* People pressing the Reset button all the time. <grin>

HTH

Adam.

> We seem to be getting a pattern amongst our clients, where on a network a
> mixture of Celeron and Pentium chip causes Index Out of Date issues.  At
two
> clients we have replaced Celeron PCs with Pentiums and no longer
experienced
> issues.

> We are using Paradox and BDE 5.01.

> Is anyone aware of anything in this vain or am I clutching at very
slippery
> straws?

> Thanks

> Alex

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

You don't mention what OS you are using on the network but I used to get
alot of corrupt and out of date indexes myself on our small network of 10
workstations running Win98.  I recently upgraded the whole lot to Win2000
and this resolved many of these issues.  I still get the odd corruption or
index out of date but this is mainly due to the pervebial user pressing that
damn reset button!

Incidently, LocalShare doesn't need to be set to true unless other non-BDE
apps are also accessing the tables. In fact Borland (at least previously in
these newsgroups) advise LocalShare to be set to False preferably. I've used
it both ways but find that LocalShare=False causes less problems.

Regards

Joe Caws

"_Favour Pty Ltd" <deleteme_i...@favour.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi,

> We seem to be getting a pattern amongst our clients, where on a network a
> mixture of Celeron and Pentium chip causes Index Out of Date issues.  At
two
> clients we have replaced Celeron PCs with Pentiums and no longer
experienced
> issues.

> We are using Paradox and BDE 5.01.

> Is anyone aware of anything in this vain or am I clutching at very
slippery
> straws?

> Thanks

> Alex

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

Make sure that the BDE is configured as described in

Bill

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

>Incidently, LocalShare doesn't need to be set to true unless other non-BDE
>apps are also accessing the tables.

That is not true.  All applications that use a Peer to Peer network (this
includes Windows networking) must have local share set to true.
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

Hi,

try to look on the driver of the network card.
try to replace the driver with other generic driver

i found out that paradox is very sensitive about what kind of network driver
you are using

HTH
Yaron.

> Hi,

> We seem to be getting a pattern amongst our clients, where on a network a
> mixture of Celeron and Pentium chip causes Index Out of Date issues.  At
two
> clients we have replaced Celeron PCs with Pentiums and no longer
experienced
> issues.

> We are using Paradox and BDE 5.01.

> Is anyone aware of anything in this vain or am I clutching at very
slippery
> straws?

> Thanks

> Alex

Re:Celeron Chip Vs Pentium Chip

I believe what you are experiencing is the lack of time sync on a
partial w2k network

? is it on a domain

? is the domain controller running win nt4.0 or 2K

I think you'll find it is a os/network problem not a database problem

simple answer

move all the clients to 2k

or implement a time sync soulution other than the microsoft one

frank b

Other Threads