New to Delphi - database dilemna

As a newcomer to Delphi and having always developed in Cobol one of the
first decisions we must take is which database type to use when converting
our software. Paradox would seem the simplest - but simplest is not always
best.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Tony Snowdon
WDM Software

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

Without knowing what your application does, what type of environment you'll
be running it in, etc, it's hard to make a specific recommendation.

However, I'd suggest you take a look at Interbase.  It's an industrial
strength SQL database that integrates very well with Delphi and that will
very shortly be completely free.  It will work stand-alone or in a
multi-user environment supporting hundreds of users.

Dan

Tony Snowdon <To...@wdmsoft.co.uk> wrote in message news:39539890@dnews...
> As a newcomer to Delphi and having always developed in Cobol one of the
> first decisions we must take is which database type to use when converting
> our software. Paradox would seem the simplest - but simplest is not always
> best.

> Any guidance would be appreciated

> Tony Snowdon
> WDM Software

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

If you're looking at Paradox (desktop database), then I would definitely
strongly suggest DBISAM. No BDE, Version 2 is fast, Support is incredible,
and did I mention - No BDE :-) www.elevatesoft.com

For a C/S Database, I like Sybase SQLAnywhere/AdaptiveServer with Titan (a
BDE replacement) www.reggatta.com  These products seem really solid, but, I
will warn you that Titan (Reggatta's) support is almost non-exsistant.

Add Delphi 5 and Report Builder and you're all set.

Ivan

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

Tony,
I would recommend you take a look at the Advantage Database. It is very
fast, rock-solid, and seamlessly supports both local server and C/S. I have
been using it for years after trying several of the others and I have never
looked back. The support is excellent. You won't be disappointed. You can
check it out at http://www.advantagedatabase.com/.
Glenn
Tony Snowdon <To...@wdmsoft.co.uk> wrote in message news:39539890@dnews...
> As a newcomer to Delphi and having always developed in Cobol one of the
> first decisions we must take is which database type to use when converting
> our software. Paradox would seem the simplest - but simplest is not always
> best.

> Any guidance would be appreciated

> Tony Snowdon
> WDM Software

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

What do you mean Interbase "will soon be completely free"?  I work for
County govt here in Lancaster PA and have been looking for an inexpensive
Client/Server engine to upgrade a shared Paradox database.
Dan Palley wrote in message <39539c99@dnews>...
>However, I'd suggest you take a look at Interbase.  It's an industrial
>strength SQL database that integrates very well with Delphi and that will
>very shortly be completely free.  It will work stand-alone or in a
>multi-user environment supporting hundreds of users.

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

The InterBase beta 6 has been released to the general public some time ago.
It can be downloaded from www.interbase.com

There's more info up there about the 'soon be completely free'. In short:
InterBase will be open source, starting with release 6. No, and I repeat, no
license fee is needed to deploy the database. Not for C/S solutions, not for
internet solutions, not for everything else. So if you need an inexpensive
engine, IB should be on the list...
--

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

For InterBase Workbench,
the developer tool for InterBase
http://www.interbaseworkbench.com

For Delphi Components and InterBase tools:
http://www.upscene.com

"Greg Pencheff" <pench...@lancnews.infi.net> schreef in bericht

> What do you mean Interbase "will soon be completely free"?  I work for
> County govt here in Lancaster PA and have been looking for an inexpensive
> Client/Server engine to upgrade a shared Paradox database.

As he said, free.

The interbase 6 beta is available for download now, and in a few weeks the
code will become open source.

Check www.interbase.com for details.

Steven Tolleneer

Re:New to Delphi - database dilemna

Free as in no charge to deploy or distribute.  The Interbase code is going
open source, and the source and executables will be available for download
by the end of the month.

For more info, look at www.interbase.com

Dan

> What do you mean Interbase "will soon be completely free"?  I work for
> County govt here in Lancaster PA and have been looking for an inexpensive
> Client/Server engine to upgrade a shared Paradox database.

> Dan Palley wrote in message <39539c99@dnews>...

> >However, I'd suggest you take a look at Interbase.  It's an industrial
> >strength SQL database that integrates very well with Delphi and that will
> >very shortly be completely free.  It will work stand-alone or in a
> >multi-user environment supporting hundreds of users.

Other Threads