NON-Stop Login requests for MS SQL in the IDE

I hope someone has seen this.

We installed MS SQL Server 6.5, SQL Links, Delphi 2.01 C/S. When
we run our APP, it asks for a Login to the database and runs OK.

BUT in the IDE, every time we touch a Data Aware component to make
a change, or add a field, it asks us to LOG in to the database.
To Add a field to the TFields list of a Query requires us to log
on to the database 6 times for each field.

We have 3 users. 1 User has no problem. 2 Users do have a problem.
The problem is not related to LOGIN, but to Machine. The same
login works on one machine and not the other. Different logins all
work on the one machine.

Kevin Davidson (kwdav...@calweb.com)

Re:NON-Stop Login requests for MS SQL in the IDE

Kevin Davidson wrote:

> I hope someone has seen this.

> We installed MS SQL Server 6.5, SQL Links, Delphi 2.01 C/S. When
> we run our APP, it asks for a Login to the database and runs OK.

> BUT in the IDE, every time we touch a Data Aware component to make
> a change, or add a field, it asks us to LOG in to the database.
> To Add a field to the TFields list of a Query requires us to log
> on to the database 6 times for each field.

> We have 3 users. 1 User has no problem. 2 Users do have a problem.
> The problem is not related to LOGIN, but to Machine. The same
> login works on one machine and not the other. Different logins all
> work on the one machine.

> Kevin Davidson (kwdav...@calweb.com)

Do you use a database component? Normally you should use a database
component which points to an BDE alias or directly to the driver. This
database component contains a name (like a new alias) which you should
use with all data-aware components. In that case delphi knows you are
already connected. If you connect you data-aware components to the BDE
defined alias, delphi will ask you over and over to log in.

Bert Hardeman

Bert Hardeman wrote in an article appearing in comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases:

>Kevin Davidson wrote:

a>> I hope someone has seen this.
b>>
a>> We installed MS SQL Server 6.5, SQL Links, Delphi 2.01 C/S. When
b>> we run our APP, it asks for a Login to the database and runs OK.
a>>
b>> BUT in the IDE, every time we touch a Data Aware component to make
a>> a change, or add a field, it asks us to LOG in to the database.
b>> To Add a field to the TFields list of a Query requires us to log
a>> on to the database 6 times for each field.
b>>
a>> We have 3 users. 1 User has no problem. 2 Users do have a problem.
b>> The problem is not related to LOGIN, but to Machine. The same
a>> login works on one machine and not the other. Different logins all
b>> work on the one machine.
a>>
b>> Kevin Davidson (kwdav...@calweb.com)

a>Do you use a database component? Normally you should use a database
b>component which points to an BDE alias or directly to the driver. This
a>database component contains a name (like a new alias) which you should
b>use with all data-aware components. In that case delphi knows you are
a>already connected. If you connect you data-aware components to the BDE
b>defined alias, delphi will ask you over and over to log in.

After I received your note in E-MAIL I tried adding a database
component. I set it active. I even put the User-id AND Password in
it. This works, because our APP no longer requres a password.

Nevertheless, when I try to use the fields editor, it asks for
a password.

Get this, I even tried to get to the Fields Editor on a component
for which NO DATABASE had been specified yet. It still asked for
a Login.

-----NEXT MORNING-----

Well, we figured it out!

It turns out that in shuffling database aliases, we deleted the alias
used by the Data Dictionary. As a result the Application (for some reason)
assumed that it could find the Dictionary on the SQL server and kept
trying over and over again.

--
Kevin Davidson (kwdav...@calweb.com)
* Every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven

Other Threads