Board index » delphi » Midnight Engineering: Was (Re: Using Delphi to control a hardware device connected to COM2)

Midnight Engineering: Was (Re: Using Delphi to control a hardware device connected to COM2)

The magazine, 'Midnight Engineering' had an exellent article on using
Delphi to access the COM and LPT ports in order to control external
hardware devices (In the case of the article, several IR heaters used to
bake ink onto paper as it exited from a printing press.)  Also, it's
sister magazine, 'Microcomputer Journal' has had recent articles on
using Delphi in real-world interfacing projects.

HTH

Derek

PS.  It's published by Bill Gates (The REAL Bill Gates, not that OTHER
guy in Redmond, WA!).  He owns Whirlwind Publications, based in Rocky
Ford, Colorado.

 

Re:Midnight Engineering: Was (Re: Using Delphi to control a hardware device connected to COM2)


On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:17:09 -0700, Derek A Benner

Quote
<dben...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>The magazine, 'Midnight Engineering' had an exellent article on using
>Delphi to access the COM and LPT ports in order to control external
>hardware devices (In the case of the article, several IR heaters used to
>bake ink onto paper as it exited from a printing press.)  Also, it's
>sister magazine, 'Microcomputer Journal' has had recent articles on
>using Delphi in real-world interfacing projects.

>HTH

>Derek

>PS.  It's published by Bill Gates (The REAL Bill Gates, not that OTHER
>guy in Redmond, WA!).  He owns Whirlwind Publications, based in Rocky
>Ford, Colorado.

Bill's an interesting guy. A real time management freak. A friend of
mine wrote an article for him a couple of years ago about audio-video
using old 3/4SP and I got a mention in it. :-)

I've been in his shop a few times. Once, right after he hauled his
new(used) pressline from Boston. Had it all layed out on big I-beams
to keep it from pounding its way into the cellar when it ran. I'm not
sure if he's ever used it to print any of the magazine issues.

JE McTaggart

Re:Midnight Engineering: Was (Re: Using Delphi to control a hardware device connected to COM2)


Quote
t...@ria.net wrote:

> >PS.  It's published by Bill Gates (The REAL Bill Gates, not that
> OTHER
> >guy in Redmond, WA!).  He owns Whirlwind Publications, based in Rocky
> >Ford, Colorado.

> Bill's an interesting guy. A real time management freak. A friend of
> mine wrote an article for him a couple of years ago about audio-video
> using old 3/4SP and I got a mention in it. :-)

> I've been in his shop a few times. Once, right after he hauled his
> new(used) pressline from Boston. Had it all layed out on big I-beams
> to keep it from pounding its way into the cellar when it ran. I'm not
> sure if he's ever used it to print any of the magazine issues.

> JE McTaggart

Well, his latest issue of ME went out from that press.  Also, his first
issue of TRJ is going out from that press.  I guess you could say he
made it work.  As a matter of fact, he's quite enthused about the Delphi
program that was written to control his IR ink heater bars.

Derek

Re:Midnight Engineering: Was (Re: Using Delphi to control a hardware device connected to COM2)


On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:47:49 -0700, Derek A Benner

Quote
<dben...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Well, his latest issue of ME went out from that press.  Also, his first
>issue of TRJ is going out from that press.  I guess you could say he
>made it work.  As a matter of fact, he's quite enthused about the Delphi
>program that was written to control his IR ink heater bars.

I don't subscribe, so I'm not really up on his doings...Whenever I
drop over to a certain friend's house, he usually has the latest
issue. As far as the Delphi program he uses for his heater bars,
I know nothing about it. I do know that there a couple of authors
in the Colorado Springs area that contribute to his magazine.
Maybe one of them wrote it. I thought about writing an article
or two for his mag, but never found the right topic...

JE McTaggart

Other Threads