ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

Tiriss has released version 1.0 of ChangeRes.

With ChangeRes you can change the version information of your Delphi and
C++Builder
projects from the command line or batch file.

If you have ever tried to automate your build process using batch files, you
have probably run into the problem that there is no easy way to update the
version information of your project. This is because the version information
is stored in the project.res file which is a binary file. With ChangeRes
this problem is gone!

Add a simple line like:

ChangeRes MyProject.Res [VERSIONINFO] FileVersion=1.2.3.4/s

to your batch file (or run that from the command line), and the version of
your project will be set!

With ChangeRes you can also do the following things:

- Update the .dof (Delphi) or .bpk (C++Builder) with the correct version
information.
- Increase or decrease version numbers (e.a. only the build number.)
- Set other version properties like: ProductVersion, FileFlags and FileDate
- Set version strings like CompanyName, Copyright etc.

ChangeRes supports Delphi 3-7 and C++Builder 3-6 project files.

ChangeRes 1.0 is available for US$ 20 for a single user license and US$ 99
for a site license.

More information and a trial version can be found on the Tiriss website:
http://www.tiriss.com/changeres.

Thanks for your time,

    Tjipke van der Plaats
    Tiriss

--
Changing Version Information in a Delphi Project?
Use ChangeRes! See: http://www.tiriss.com/changeres

Re:ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see how this improves on Deplhi's
own built in .rc compiler ... apart from the fact that no one seems to know
that it's there ... for years now, all that we do is to add a version info
.rc to the project and make sure that the project options are set to exclude
version info ... now when we build the project the .rc is automatically
built into the application ... management is really easy and building multi
module application suites with common version info is easily achieved.

An example version info .rc file is :  (note that this is UK)

// Compile into the project

// Optional - doing it this way ends up with a Dephi Icon too !

AppIcon   ICON          "LetterRack3D.ico"

// Version Information

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH,SUBLANG_ENGLISH_UK

1 VERSIONINFO LOADONCALL MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE IMPURE
FILEVERSION 1, 0, 2, 0
PRODUCTVERSION 1, 0, 2, 0
FILEFLAGSMASK VS_FFI_FILEFLAGSMASK
FILEOS VOS__WINDOWS32
FILETYPE VFT_APP
{
 BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
 {
  BLOCK "080904E4"
  {
   VALUE "CompanyName", "SoftSpot Software Limited\000"
   VALUE "FileDescription", "Letter Rack 3D\000"
   VALUE "FileVersion", "1.0.2.0\000"
   VALUE "InternalName", "LetterRack3D.exe\000"
   VALUE "LegalCopyright", "\251SoftSpot Software Limited\000"
   VALUE "LegalTrademarks", "\256SoftSpot Software Limited\000"
   VALUE "OriginalFilename", "LetterRack3D.exe\000"
   VALUE "ProductName", "Letter Rack 3D\000"
   VALUE "ProductVersion", "5.0.0.0\000"
   VALUE "Comments", "by Andrew Jameson - 2003\000"
  }
 }
 BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
 {
  VALUE "Translation", 2057, 1252
 }

}

Tjipke A. van der Plaats <i...@tiriss.com> wrote in message

> Tiriss has released version 1.0 of ChangeRes.

> With ChangeRes you can change the version information of your Delphi and
> C++Builder
> projects from the command line or batch file.

Re:ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

> Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see how this improves on Deplhi's
> own built in .rc compiler ... apart from the fact that no one seems to
know
> that it's there ... for years now, all that we do is to add a version info
> .rc to the project and make sure that the project options are set to
exclude
> version info ... now when we build the project the .rc is automatically
> built into the application ... management is really easy and building
multi
> module application suites with common version info is easily achieved.

I know this can be done, but I find it easier with ChangeRes.

What about projects you've made in Delphi IDE?
If you want to also keep on editing the version info in the IDE, you can
still use the normal way of including version info and editing that in the
IDE, but you can also change it on the command line using ChangeRes. No need
to make .rc files or make a program to update your rc file.

An example might be a (daily) build batch file:

ChangeRes Project1.res -U [VERSIONINFO] FileVersion=+0.+0.+0.+1/s
dcc32 Project1.dpr

It wil increase the build nr every time you call it and no extra need of an
.rc file and updating that .rc file.

What do you think is easier? (and that for only US$ 20 ;-)

    Tjipke

--
Changing Version Information in a Delphi Project?
Use ChangeRes! See: http://www.tiriss.com/changeres

Re:ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

Yes ... thanks Eric ... you're absolutely right and I can see its value now
in this respect ... we had to develop our own software to actual implement
this functionality.

Andrew

> It's not that it CAN'T be done with Delphi, but you definitely cannot do
it
> from a command-line.  If you're using a deployment tool such as
> FinalBuilder, it would be nice to have a command-line tool to make changes
> instead of editing the files manually.

Re:ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

> Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see how this improves on Deplhi's
> own built in .rc compiler ... apart from the fact that no one seems to
know
> that it's there ... for years now, all that we do is to add a version
info
> .rc to the project and make sure that the project options are set to
exclude
> version info ... now when we build the project the .rc is automatically
> built into the application ... management is really easy and building
multi
> module application suites with common version info is easily achieved.

It's not that it CAN'T be done with Delphi, but you definitely cannot do it
from a command-line.  If you're using a deployment tool such as
FinalBuilder, it would be nice to have a command-line tool to make changes
instead of editing the files manually.

Eric

Re:ANN: ChangeRes: Set your version information from the command line

I agree with you and additionally I add a shortcut to brcc32 on Delphi menu
just opening Tools, Configure Tools and adding brcc32 and my .RC file.
So, when I need to create a program with Version Information, I need just to
call Tools, Create Version Info.

Other Threads