Determining Win 95 / Win 98 / Win NT Serial

Hi,
I have developed a game and would like to protect this by having the
password be dependent on the serial number of the oeprating system. The game
runs on 95, 98 and NT. Can anyone tell me the following?

1) How do I programatically determine which O/S ?
2) How do I programatically determine the serial NO. of the platform?

This would be a great help. I have already suffered from piracy and have
lost sales because of this.

Many thanks

B. Pinto

Re:Determining Win 95 / Win 98 / Win NT Serial

Hi,
I have developed a game and would like to protect this by having the
password be dependent on the serial number of the oeprating system. The game
runs on 95, 98 and NT. Can anyone tell me the following?

1) How do I programatically determine which O/S ?
2) How do I programatically determine the serial of the platform?

This would be a great help. I have already suffered from piracy and have
lost sales because of this.

Many thanks

B. Pinto

Re:Determining Win 95 / Win 98 / Win NT Serial

i would suggest not doing this.
it is no better really then a unique key that you generate somehow.
besides it really pisses me off when i have purchased a piece of
software, install it, use it, buy a new computer, and following most
license agreements, delete it from my old machine, go to install on a
new one and have to call for a new number.
that type of protection makes me shop for a new software.
but that is just my opinion.

oh ya, you can change the windows serial anyhow. windows only cares
when it installs that you have the correct serial number for a range
of CDs. there are not individual CD numbers for win 95,98, and NT4.

however, office 2000 and perhaps win2000 requires an online web
connection to register itself.

also, any of these measures do not deter a determined hacker.
all you need is softice, windasm and some time to break out the
routines that look for serial numbers.
simply install Nop calls in place of the originals, and no more
serial/copy protection.

locks and keys are for honest people.

my two (more) cents worth

H.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:25:07 -0000, "Bernadette"

<bernadette.pi...@tesco.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have developed a game and would like to protect this by having the
>password be dependent on the serial number of the oeprating system. The game
>runs on 95, 98 and NT. Can anyone tell me the following?

>1) How do I programatically determine which O/S ?
>2) How do I programatically determine the serial NO. of the platform?

>This would be a great help. I have already suffered from piracy and have
>lost sales because of this.

>Many thanks

>B. Pinto

Other Threads