IB/D5->IB/D6: Transaction problems

Using IB5 with D5, a TIBTransaction.Active property
is set to false after doing an SQL select with a TIBQuery
component & closing the query.  This meant that I could
do one or more SQL selects without needing to explicitly
use a transaction.  This has changed, with IB6/D6 it seems
that every SQL select requires an explicit transaction
meaning that I have to re-write my application and
add tranascation code where it was not previously
needed.  Apart from abandoning IB6/D6 (I have already
stopped using them) is there an easier way around this
problem?  Why has this changed, and when will it be
changed back?

Thanks.

Re:IB/D5->IB/D6: Transaction problems

IBX in delphi6 handles the autotransaction much better than before. I think
your problem is that you have not found the transaction's AutoStopAction
property.

Its default setting is saNone, so it doesn't do anything when you close the
dataset. It sounds like you want to set it to saCommit, this will
automatically commit the transaction when you close all of the associated
datasets

HTH
jb

"Daniel" <dgr...@encrypta.com> wrote in message news:3b80d463_1@dnews...
> Using IB5 with D5, a TIBTransaction.Active property
> is set to false after doing an SQL select with a TIBQuery
> component & closing the query.  This meant that I could
> do one or more SQL selects without needing to explicitly
> use a transaction.  This has changed, with IB6/D6 it seems
> that every SQL select requires an explicit transaction
> meaning that I have to re-write my application and
> add tranascation code where it was not previously
> needed.  Apart from abandoning IB6/D6 (I have already
> stopped using them) is there an easier way around this
> problem?  Why has this changed, and when will it be
> changed back?

> Thanks.

Re:IB/D5->IB/D6: Transaction problems

Thanks,
I tried changing the AutoStopAction settings & they did not
seem to make any difference, perhaps I did not give it a run
for its (my companies) money.  I just uninstalled Delphi 6 as
I had a more worrying problem to do with invalid pointers,
not to mention various IDE problems, I found it to be too
unstable.  I'll be waiting for an update patch before
re-installing.

"jb" <jonathan_bou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3b80dfeb_2@dnews...
> IBX in delphi6 handles the autotransaction much better than before. I
think
> your problem is that you have not found the transaction's AutoStopAction
> property.

> Its default setting is saNone, so it doesn't do anything when you close
the
> dataset. It sounds like you want to set it to saCommit, this will
> automatically commit the transaction when you close all of the associated
> datasets

> HTH
> jb

> "Daniel" <dgr...@encrypta.com> wrote in message news:3b80d463_1@dnews...
> > Using IB5 with D5, a TIBTransaction.Active property
> > is set to false after doing an SQL select with a TIBQuery
> > component & closing the query.  This meant that I could
> > do one or more SQL selects without needing to explicitly
> > use a transaction.  This has changed, with IB6/D6 it seems
> > that every SQL select requires an explicit transaction
> > meaning that I have to re-write my application and
> > add tranascation code where it was not previously
> > needed.  Apart from abandoning IB6/D6 (I have already
> > stopped using them) is there an easier way around this
> > problem?  Why has this changed, and when will it be
> > changed back?

> > Thanks.

Other Threads