Sort order of Detail Table in Master/Detail relationship

When I set up M/D relationship in Delphi, then the sort order is given
(implicitly) by primary key (Paradox). So when a field joined in M/D is the
first field in primary key the sort order is by the second field in PK.
What if I need other sorting.

Thanks
Tomas Bahnik

Re:Sort order of Detail Table in Master/Detail relationship

On 13 Mar 2000 19:08:24 GMT, "Tomas Bahnik" <tomas.bah...@vslib.cz>
wrote:

>When I set up M/D relationship in Delphi, then the sort order is given
>(implicitly) by primary key (Paradox). So when a field joined in M/D is the
>first field in primary key the sort order is by the second field in PK.
>What if I need other sorting.

Then create compound secondary indexes to supply the supplemental
sorting. These indexes must be based on the field used for the
Master-Detail link and then the field(s) on which you wish the data
visually sorted.

A Master-Detail link is effected using the current index. Activate a
different index to get a different ordering, and it better provide the
linking of your primary index or you lose the linking.

Steve Koterski                    "If you aren't fired with
Technical Publications            enthusiasm, you will be
Borland                           fired with enthusiasm."
                              -- Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Other Threads