Can Delphi 2.0 talk to Oracle without ODBC??

Is this really true? Can Delphi 2.0 bypass ODBC for a more quicker connection
to Oracle 7? If so, can anyone show me how it is done?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Re:Can Delphi 2.0 talk to Oracle without ODBC??

YES... Borland now has native SQL Link drivers to access Oracle 7, these
are much quicker than ODBC..... you should be able to find out more
information from their web page......

Re:Can Delphi 2.0 talk to Oracle without ODBC??

>Is this really true? Can Delphi 2.0 bypass ODBC for a more quicker connection
>to Oracle 7? If so, can anyone show me how it is done?

        You can do it by using the OCI. I don't know if any components exist which will
be a drop in replacement for you though.

        Or you can use D2 C/S which should bypass ODBC.

_
Replies are going out late... We've been busy at the
        Borland Developers Conference
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any
problems, or RFC non-compliance, please report it to p...@pbe.com
 \------------------------------------------------------------\
  \           Chad Z. Hower  -  phoe...@pobox.com              \
   \  Phoenix Business Enterprises - p...@pbe.com - www.pbe.com  \
    \     Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure     \
     \------------------------------------------------------------\

>>SQUID - The ultimate 95/NT offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Edward Lanuza wrote:

> Is this really true? Can Delphi 2.0 bypass ODBC for a more quicker connection
> to Oracle 7? If so, can anyone show me how it is done?
> Your help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

Only with the client-server version of the product.

However (and perhaps I shouldn't point this out... :-) ), I have also
downloaded Borland's new InterBuilder development environment.

By the way: WARNING! If you install this app, it offers to install
the BDE, and the BDE it installs hoses your current Delphi BDE
by changing the Registry entries to point to the InterBuilder version
of the BDE.  I was able to recover, but there were some tense
moments...

The version of the BDE that InterBuilder comes with (that you can
download for free) seems to have the native drivers that come with
Delphi C/S.  Now, I'm not saying that you should try this at home,
but it wouldn't suprise me if these drivers worked with Delphi.

Just a thought...Stuart

Re:Can Delphi 2.0 talk to Oracle without ODBC??

If you are using SQL-Link capability (included in Client Server version of
Delphi ONLY) you can go Direct to Oracle, Sybase, etc.  Otherwise, its
ODBC.

Edward Lanuza <elan...@{*word*104}ramp.net> wrote in article
<4u6aar$...@newshost.{*word*104}ramp.net>...

:
:       You can do it by using the OCI. I don't know if any components exist which will
: be a drop in replacement for you though.

haven't found. I am about to create own ones.
(and if I do then I'll publish it as shareware)
(any special wishes? ;-)

tanel

Other Threads